Two cables data transmission

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of connecting two cables with different bandwidth and signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) capabilities for network data transmission. The question is raised whether this can be done to take advantage of the lower SNR requirement of the second cable and if a frequency translator device is needed. The context and specifics of the problem are also mentioned, such as the type of channels and noise sources involved. The conversation also raises a question about the relationship between SNR and frequency of data transmission.
iamnew
okay guys i have a small problem relating to network data transmission

i have two cables

cable 1 :- Bandwidth = B1 and SNR = S1
cable 2 :- Bandwidth = B2 and SNR = S2

Assume that B2 > B1

Cant i connect these two cables together and take advantage of lower SNR ratio requirements of the cable 2 ?

Will i need some sort of frequency translator device to match the two difference bandwidth capabilities of the two wires ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
signal to noise ratio

Also,

Is the signal to noise ratio of a data transmission cable be constant throughout the cable or does it change in a undefined manner ?

Also does it have a relationship with the frequency of data transmission ?

Last edited by a moderator:
iamnew said:
okay guys i have a small problem relating to network data transmission

i have two cables

cable 1 :- Bandwidth = B1 and SNR = S1
cable 2 :- Bandwidth = B2 and SNR = S2

Assume that B2 > B1

Cant i connect these two cables together and take advantage of lower SNR ratio requirements of the cable 2 ?

Will i need some sort of frequency translator device to match the two difference bandwidth capabilities of the two wires ?

What is the context of the question? What kind of channels are we talking about? What is limiting the BW of each cable? And how are you defining the SNR? Is there an inherent noise source in each? What are the TX signal levels? What is the attenuation? What is the quiet line SNR at the RX amp?

(and is this schoolwork?)

Given B2 > B1, how do you know S2 > S1? Is the needed bandwidth greater than B1 or the needed SNR greater than S1? In general, without knowing the details of your problem, if your SNR is better than marginal, the amount of improvement you would get by paralleling cables would be negligible.

What is "two cables data transmission"?

"Two cables data transmission" refers to a method of transmitting data using two separate cables instead of one. This is often done for redundancy and to decrease the chances of data loss during transmission.

How does "two cables data transmission" work?

In "two cables data transmission", data is split into two streams and transmitted simultaneously through two separate cables. The receiving end combines the two streams of data to reconstruct the original data.

What are the advantages of using "two cables data transmission"?

The main advantage of "two cables data transmission" is increased reliability and reduced risk of data loss. If one cable fails, the other can still transmit the data. This method also allows for faster data transmission speeds.

What are the disadvantages of "two cables data transmission"?

The main disadvantage of "two cables data transmission" is the increased cost and complexity of using two cables instead of one. This method also requires additional hardware and equipment, making it less practical for certain applications.

What are some common applications of "two cables data transmission"?

"Two cables data transmission" is commonly used in telecommunications, computer networking, and data storage systems. It is also used in industrial and military applications where reliability and redundancy are critical.