Cell tomography interpretation

In summary, the conversation discusses a 3D model of the Golgi region in an insulin-producing pancreas cell, created using dual axis EM tomography. The color code used is not based on density and the image is only a cross-section of about 1/10th the thickness of the cell.
Pythagorean
Gold Member
how would you learn to interpret the components of something like this? Am i seeing the whole cross-sectional area of a cell?

[PLAIN]http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/begin/cells/membranes/images/tomography.jpg

(insulin-producing pancreas cell: http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/begin/cells/membranes/ )

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
more info on the picture

Front [...] view of a 3D model of the Golgi region in an insulin-secreting, mammalian cell. Â Three serial 400-nm-thick sections cut from a high pressure frozen, freeze-substituted and plastic-embedded HIT-T15 cell were reconstructed by dual axis EM tomography. Â The software package IMOD was used to model all visible objects within the resulting reconstructed volume (3.1 x 3.2 x 1.2 um3). Â The Golgi complex with seven cisternae (C1-C7) is at the center. Â The color coding is as follows: C1, light blue; C2, pink; C3, cherry red; C4, green; C5, dark blue; C6, gold; C7, bright red. Â The Golgi is displayed in the context of all surrounding organelles, vesicles, ribosomes, and microtubules: endoplasmic reticulum (ER), yellow; membrane-bound ribosomes, blue; free ribosomes, orange; microtubules, bright green; dense core vesicles, bright blue; clathrin-negative vesicles, white; clathrin-positive compartments and vesicles, bright red; clathrin-negative compartments and vesicles, purple; mitochondria, dark green. Bar, 500 nm.

no apparent nuclei so I would suggest not a whole cross-section just fragment of cell.

probably colour coded based on density, nice resolution, interested to know how different the density between cell compartments is (are?) would have thought basically water surrounded by lipid membrane?

The color code is not based on density, it's manually false colored based on what the researchers think each component is. As you said, there is not really much difference in the density of the components because you just have water, lipids, and some density from large protein complexes.

Also, the tomography image was created from three 400-nm sections giving a total thickness of 0.9 microns. I'm not sure about the dimensions of a pancreatic cell or how it's aligned in the image, but mammalian cell dimensions are typically on the 10-20 micron scale. So, it's likely a cross-section of about 1/10th the thickness of the cell.

I would approach interpreting the components of cell tomography by first familiarizing myself with the technique. Cell tomography is a method used to create detailed 3D images of cells by taking multiple 2D images at different angles and reconstructing them into a 3D model. Understanding the principles and limitations of this technique is crucial in interpreting the resulting image.

Next, I would study the anatomy and function of the specific cell type being imaged. In this case, the image is of an insulin-producing pancreas cell. By understanding the normal structure and function of this type of cell, I can better identify and interpret the components seen in the tomography image.

I would also consult scientific literature and resources to compare the image with other known images of similar cells. This can help me identify and interpret the various components and structures seen in the tomography image.

Furthermore, I would use specialized software and tools to manipulate and analyze the image. This can help me visualize and understand the different layers and structures within the cell.

Lastly, I would collaborate with other scientists and experts in the field to discuss and validate my interpretations. By combining our knowledge and expertise, we can come to a more accurate and comprehensive understanding of the components seen in the cell tomography image.

1. What is cell tomography interpretation?

Cell tomography interpretation is a scientific technique used to create three-dimensional images of cells and their structures. It involves taking multiple images of a cell from different angles and combining them to produce a 3D model, allowing researchers to study the cell in greater detail.

2. What type of microscopy is used for cell tomography interpretation?

Cell tomography interpretation typically uses electron microscopy, specifically transmission electron microscopy (TEM). This type of microscopy uses a beam of electrons to create high-resolution images of cells and their structures.

3. How is cell tomography interpretation useful in research?

Cell tomography interpretation is useful in research as it enables scientists to study the structural organization of cells and their components. It can provide insights into the functions and interactions of cellular structures, aiding in the understanding of disease processes and the development of new treatments.

4. What are the limitations of cell tomography interpretation?

One limitation of cell tomography interpretation is that it requires specialized equipment and training, making it less accessible and more expensive than other microscopy techniques. Additionally, the preparation of samples for cell tomography can be time-consuming and may alter the natural state of the cell.

5. How does cell tomography interpretation differ from traditional microscopy?

Cell tomography interpretation differs from traditional microscopy in that it produces 3D images rather than 2D images. This allows for a more comprehensive understanding of the cell's structure and organization. Additionally, cell tomography can capture images at a higher resolution, providing more detailed information about cellular structures.