Yet another general GRE scores question thread-and physics GRE nightmares

In summary, the conversation discusses a person's concern about their GRE scores, particularly in relation to their potential success in physics graduate school. They express frustration with their quantitative score and concern about their preparation for the physics GRE. They also seek advice on how to improve their understanding of mechanics and thermodynamics and maintain their sanity during this stressful time. Ultimately, the conversation highlights the importance of focusing on learning the material rather than making excuses for perceived shortcomings.
mrkmrk
Yet another general GRE scores question thread--and physics GRE nightmares

Sorry about that. I've done some searching, though, so I'm not too sorry.

I haven't found anything that quite fits what I'm looking for. Namely, I'm wondering if physics grad schools might look highly upon high verbal/writing scores in the hopes that the prospective student might write clear, concise papers and do convincing work. I don't think that it matters much, but I feel as if somebody on the admissions board might take kindly to it.

My scores were:

780 (89%) quantitative
660 (94%) verbal
6 (99%) writing

I'm kind of peeved that my quantitative score--probably the most important one--is the one on which I scored most poorly percentile-wise. The quantitative section is too easy and the score spread is fairly ridiculous (at least in my opinion, but this isn't the time or place to complain about that).

I'm currently have panic attacks while studying for the physics GRE (which I'll be taking Oct. 15th) because my mechanics foundations are terrible. I had a teacher in high school that knew no calculus and didn't teach our class almost anything, and my first semester mechanics professor was the head of the Center for Relativity at my university and couldn't care less about teaching an intro mechanics course. Additionally, my thermodynamics/stat mech class seemed to be to a huge mishmash of formulae (we had a 20-page long formula sheet for our final, I kid you not), and I often find myself grasping for the right equation for the problem and misunderstanding fairly basic concepts.

My E&M is pretty good, my QM is excellent, and my SR is quite respectable, though. I'm going through all of the released tests and trying my damnedest to build myself a foundation upon which to work, because I understand well that if I don't do well on this coming test, my general GRE scores won't matter at all and I will have made a grievous error with respect to my future. This coming test is quite possibly the most important one of my life, and I cannot let myself do poorly on it regardless of my what my background has been up to this point.

...Which is why I'm up at 3:45 right now. With that in mind, does anybody have any suggestions? Thoughts on how my general GRE scores will look to grad schools? How I might get a better grasp of mechanics or thermodynamics (I'll try and do problems out of my texts from these courses)? Perhaps most importantly, how I can keep myself sane while I try and do all of this?

Any help whatsoever that you could provide would be greatly and sincerely appreciated.

Thanks,

Ben

Physics news on Phys.org

The good news is that 780 is a fine score. The bad news is nobody cares about your score on the general.

Now the really bad news - in all likelihood, the admissions committee won't care if you had lousy professors in various subjects. They care if you learned the material or not. They are looking for people who excel at learning the material, not people who excel at excuses for why they didn't. You should spend the time between now and the exam learning the material the best you can.

Related to Yet another general GRE scores question thread-and physics GRE nightmares

1. What is the purpose of the general GRE and physics GRE exams?

The general GRE and physics GRE exams are standardized tests used to assess a student's readiness for graduate-level studies in a variety of subjects, including physics. These exams are often required by graduate programs as part of the application process.

2. What is considered a good score on the general GRE and physics GRE exams?

A good score on the general GRE and physics GRE exams varies depending on the specific graduate program you are applying to. It is important to research the average scores of admitted students for your desired program to determine what score you should aim for.

3. How can I prepare for the general GRE and physics GRE exams?

Preparation for these exams should begin well in advance. You can use study materials, such as textbooks and practice tests, to familiarize yourself with the content and format of the exams. It is also helpful to review basic math and physics concepts and to practice time management skills.

4. Can I retake the general GRE and physics GRE exams if I am not satisfied with my scores?

Yes, you can retake these exams if you are not satisfied with your scores. However, there are limitations on how often you can retake the exams, so it is important to plan and prepare effectively for each attempt.

5. Do graduate programs consider both the general GRE and physics GRE scores?

Some graduate programs may only require the general GRE exam, while others may require both the general GRE and physics GRE exams. It is important to check the requirements of each program you are applying to in order to determine which exams you need to take.