Finding final temperature of a mixture

In summary, the goal is to calculate the final temperature when 20 grams of steam at 100°C is added to 100 grams of ice at -40°C. The equations used are Q=mcΔt and Q=ML, with the attempt being to solve using -ΔQheat = ΔQcold. However, the final temperature found was past 100°C, which is impossible because the steam's temperature is only at 100°C. It is necessary to find how much of the ice turns into water and how much of the steam condenses into water. The final temperature is expected to be 23.4°C.
MixedUpCody

Homework Statement

calculate the final temperature when 20 grams of steam at 100°C is added to 100 grams of ice at -40°C.

Homework Equations

Q=mcΔt and Q=ML

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried solving this problem using -ΔQheat = ΔQcold, but the final temperature that I found was past 100 °C which is impossible because the steam's temperature is only at 100°C. I believe I need to find how much of the ice actually turns into water and how much of the steam actually condenses into water but I don't know how to go about doing that. Thank you for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi MixedUpCody! Welcome to PF! :smile:
MixedUpCody said:
calculate the final temperature when 20 grams of steam at 100°C is added to 100 grams of ice at -40°C.

I believe I need to find how much of the ice actually turns into water and how much of the steam actually condenses into water …

No, you can assume that all the steam and ice ends up at the same temperature and in the same state.

Show us your full calculations, and then we'll see what went wrong, and we'll know how to help! :smile:

Hi,
Thank you for the fast response.
This is what I had:

Qc = mcΔt + mL + mcΔt = (0.1)(2090)(0-(-40)) + (0.1)(3.33 x 10^5) + (0.1)(4.19)(T-0)
= 41660 + 0.419T

Qh = mL + mcΔt = -[(0.02)(22.6 x 10^5) + ( 0.02)(4186)(T-100)]
= -(83.72T + 36828)
when I set them equal to each other, T came out to be -932.8 °C

MixedUpCody said:
Qc = mcΔt + mL + mcΔt = …
= 41660 + 0.419T

Qh = mL + mcΔt = …
= -(83.72T + 36828)
when I set them equal to each other, T came out to be -932.8 °C

no, that minus shouldn't be there :redface:

the first one is energy gained by the ice

the second is energy lost by the steam …

they should both be positive, shouldn't they?​

that's true. I don't know why I'm hung up on the negative from the -ΔQh = ΔQc equation. If I don't put the negative there the answer is 58°C, but the answer my teacher gave me in class was 23.4°C. The teacher didn't really show us how to get that answer,. Would you mind helping me with this? Thank you

Hi MixedUpCody! :smile:

(just got up :zzz:)
MixedUpCody said:
Qc = mcΔt + mL + mcΔt = (0.1)(2090)(0-(-40)) + (0.1)(3.33 x 10^5) + (0.1)(4.19)(T-0)
= 41660 + 0.419T

Qh = mL + mcΔt = -[(0.02)(22.6 x 10^5) + ( 0.02)(4186)(T-100)]
= -(83.72T + 36828)

why are you using 4.19 and 4186 for the same specific heat? :wink:

HI,

I see...lol..I'll try again with the same number =)..thank you

1. How do you find the final temperature of a mixture?

The final temperature of a mixture can be found using the formula: Tf = (m1 x T1 + m2 x T2) / (m1 + m2), where Tf is the final temperature, m1 and m2 are the masses of the substances, and T1 and T2 are the initial temperatures of the substances.

2. What information do I need to find the final temperature of a mixture?

To find the final temperature of a mixture, you will need the masses of the substances involved and their initial temperatures.

3. Can the final temperature of a mixture be lower than the initial temperatures of the substances?

Yes, it is possible for the final temperature of a mixture to be lower than the initial temperatures of the substances. This can happen if one substance has a higher mass or a lower initial temperature than the other substance.

4. What units should be used when finding the final temperature of a mixture?

The units used for the masses should be consistent (e.g. kilograms, grams, etc.) and the temperatures should be in the same scale (e.g. Celsius or Fahrenheit). The final temperature will have the same units as the initial temperatures.

5. Can this formula be used for any type of substance or mixture?

Yes, the formula for finding the final temperature of a mixture can be used for any type of substance or mixture, as long as the masses and initial temperatures are known. However, it is important to note that this formula assumes that no energy is lost to the surroundings during the mixing process.