HTML element with multiple classes

In summary, an HTML element with multiple classes is a tag that has more than one class attribute assigned to it, allowing for more customization. To add multiple classes, separate each class name with a space in the class attribute. Multiple instances of the same class can be used on one element. The order of classes in the HTML determines the precedence of conflicting styles. Multiple classes can also be used with other HTML attributes for specific styling.
Jamin2112
Suppose I write the following in my stylesheet

Code:
   .class1
    {
        position: relative;
    }
    .class2
    {
        position: absolute;
        bottom: 0px;
    }

and then the following in my body

Code:
    <div class="class1 class2">
    </div>

Will that div take a relative position or will it be positioned absolutely at the bottom of the page? Yes, I know I could test this myself, but I'd like to first understand the logic of where it should be.

Technology news on Phys.org
Thanks!

1. What is an HTML element with multiple classes?

An HTML element with multiple classes is an HTML tag that has more than one class attribute assigned to it. This allows the element to have multiple styles applied to it, making it more versatile and customizable.

2. How do you add multiple classes to an HTML element?

To add multiple classes to an HTML element, simply separate each class name with a space within the class attribute. For example: <div class="class1 class2 class3"> This will assign all three classes to the <div> element.

3. Can you have multiple classes with the same name on one element?

Yes, you can have multiple instances of the same class name on one element. This can be useful if you want to apply the same style to different parts of your webpage without having to create a new class for each one.

4. How do multiple classes affect CSS specificity?

When an element has multiple classes, the styles from each class will be combined and applied to the element. If there are conflicting styles, the order of the classes in the HTML will determine which style takes precedence. However, if the same style is applied to the same element with two different classes, the style from the class that is listed last in the HTML will take precedence.

5. Can you use multiple classes with other HTML attributes?

Yes, you can use multiple classes with other HTML attributes. For example, <a href="#" class="btn primary"> will assign both the btn and primary classes to the <a> element, allowing you to apply specific styling to the link.