Compact Sets and Function Pre-Image Example | Homework Help

• Thread starter analysis001
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Compact
In summary, the problem is to find a function and a set D such that the set is compact, but the inverse image of D under the function is not compact. The function must be continuous on all of R, and the inverse image is not the same as the function inverse. An example of such a function is the sine function, where the set D can be chosen as the interval [-1, 1]. This satisfies the criteria because the image of D under f is compact, but the inverse image of D is not.
analysis001

Homework Statement

I need to find an example of a set D[itex]\subseteq[/itex]R is compact but f-1(D) is not.

Homework Equations

f-1(D) is the pre-image of f(D), not the inverse.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having trouble visualizing a function that would work for this scenario. Any clues would be helpful.

Physics news on Phys.org
analysis001 said:

Homework Statement

I need to find an example of a set D[itex]\subseteq[/itex]R is compact but f-1(D) is not.

Homework Equations

f-1(D) is the pre-image of f(D), not the inverse.
Unless f is a map from D to itself, your notation doesn't make sense. The symbol f(D) implies that D is the domain, and f(D) is the image under f. The symbol f-1(D) implies that D is now the range.
analysis001 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having trouble visualizing a function that would work for this scenario. Any clues would be helpful.

Mark44 said:
Unless f is a map from D to itself, your notation doesn't make sense. The symbol f(D) implies that D is the domain, and f(D) is the image under f. The symbol f-1(D) implies that D is now the range.

Ok, I might have summarized the problem wrong. I'll write it word for word here:

Consider a function f:RR which is continuous on all of R. Find an example satisfying the following:
D[itex]\subseteq[/itex]R is compact but f-1(D) is not.

The image of the sine function is the interval [-1, 1]. The inverse image of [-1, 1] is R. If we're talking about inverse image as opposed to function inverse (f-1), this should work. If you really do mean f-1 as the function inverse, then no, it won't work, as the sine function isn't one-to-one, so doesn't have an inverse that is a function.

Mark44 said:
The image of the sine function is the interval [-1, 1]. The inverse image of [-1, 1] is R. If we're talking about inverse image as opposed to function inverse (f-1), this should work. If you really do mean f-1 as the function inverse, then no, it won't work, as the sine function isn't one-to-one, so doesn't have an inverse that is a function.

Yes, it's talking about the inverse image, not the function inverse. I don't really see how f(D)=sin(D) would work though. If the question was to find a f(D)[itex]\subseteq[/itex]R where f(D) is compact but f-1(D) is not then I see how f(D)=sin(D) would work, because f(D)=[-1,1] is compact but f-1(D)=R is not (I think). Maybe I'm just understanding it wrong because I don't see how f(D)=sin(D) works.

analysis001 said:
Yes, it's talking about the inverse image, not the function inverse. I don't really see how f(D)=sin(D) would work though. If the question was to find a f(D)
No. You're getting all balled up in the notation and not understanding what it's supposed to mean. The problem is to find a function and a set D (NOT f(D)) that is compact, but the inverse image of D is not compact.

A number d ##\in## D provided that there exists a real number x for which sin(x) = d. Draw a picture with two sets, with x in one set and d in the other set (set D). That might be helpful.

analysis001 said:
[itex]\subseteq[/itex]R where f(D) is compact but f-1(D) is not then I see how f(D)=sin(D) would work, because f(D)=[-1,1] is compact but f-1(D)=R is not (I think). Maybe I'm just understanding it wrong because I don't see how f(D)=sin(D) works.

Related to Compact Sets and Function Pre-Image Example | Homework Help

1. What is a compact set?

A compact set is a subset of a metric space that is closed and bounded. In other words, it contains all of its limit points and can be contained within a finite distance.

2. How are compact sets different from closed sets?

While a compact set is always closed, a closed set is not always compact. A closed set can have infinitely many points and still be compact, while a closed set with infinitely many points is not always compact.

3. What is the Heine-Borel theorem and how does it relate to compact sets?

The Heine-Borel theorem states that a subset of Euclidean space is compact if and only if it is closed and bounded. This is a fundamental theorem in the study of compact sets, as it provides a necessary and sufficient condition for a set to be compact in Euclidean space.

4. How are compact sets used in functional analysis?

Compact sets are used in functional analysis to study the behavior of functions on compact sets. For example, the extreme value theorem states that a continuous function on a compact set must attain its maximum and minimum values within that set.

5. Can a non-metric space have a compact set?

Yes, a non-metric space can have a compact set if it satisfies the conditions of a compact set, such as being closed and bounded. However, the concept of compactness is defined differently in non-metric spaces compared to metric spaces.