Compact Hausdorff space with continuous function

In summary, we are trying to show that there exists a non-empty subset A \subseteq X such that f(A) = A, where X is a compact Hausdorff space and f:X\rightarrow X is continuous. We begin by considering the tactic of showing that f is a homeomorphism, but realize that this may not be the right approach. We then use the fact that every closed subspace of a Hausdorff space is compact, and that a continuous image of a compact space is compact. After some trial and error, we come up with the idea of defining a set A_n that is a decreasing sequence of non-empty closed sets, and then taking the intersection of all A_n to find our desired subset A
Oxymoron
Question
Let [itex]X[/itex] be a compact Hausdorff space and let [itex]f:X\rightarrow X[/itex] be continuous. Show that there exists a non-empty subset [itex]A \subseteq X[/itex] such that [itex]f(A) = A[/itex].
At the moment I am trying to show that [itex]f[/itex] is a homeomorphism and maybe after that I can show that [itex]f(A) = A[/itex]. But I am not sure if this is the right tactic.
I know that [itex]f[/itex] is a continuous function, and since [itex]f:X \rightarrow X[/itex] it is bijective (?) I thought it might be since the domain and range coincide.
Anyway, if I take a closed subset [itex]A \subseteq X[/itex] then [itex]A[/itex] is automatically compact (since every closed subset of a Hausdorff space is compact). Then since [itex]f[/itex] is continuous it maps closed compact sets to closed compact sets.
Since [itex]f[/itex] is bijective, its inverse [itex]f^{-1}[/itex] exists, and [itex]f^{-1}[/itex] will also map closed compact sets to closed compact sets.
Therefore [itex]f[/itex] is a homeomorphism. I am not sure if I can conclude from this that [itex]A[/itex] is homeomorphic to [itex]f(A)[/itex] which implies [itex]f(A) = A[/itex].
PS. What about the open sets in [itex]X[/itex]? I need help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Oxymoron said:
Question
Let [itex]X[/itex] be a compact Hausdorff space and let [itex]f:X\rightarrow X[/itex] be continuous. Show that there exists a non-empty subset [itex]A \subseteq X[/itex] such that [itex]f(A) = A[/itex].
At the moment I am trying to show that [itex]f[/itex] is a homeomorphism and maybe after that I can show that [itex]f(A) = A[/itex]. But I am not sure if this is the right tactic.
I know that [itex]f[/itex] is a continuous function, and since [itex]f:X \rightarrow X[/itex] it is bijective (?) I thought it might be since the domain and range coincide.

just because a continuous map goes from a set to itself doesn't mean it's a bijection. consider f:X->X with f(x)=0 for every x in X; that's continuous but not a bijection. off the top of my head i would try using the fact that a) every closed subspace of a Hausdorff space is compact and b) that every compact subspace of a Hausdorff space is closed. maybe also use the fact that a continuous image of a compact space is compact. I'm not sure if that will help or not. i'd have to think about it some more.

just because a continuous map goes from a set to itself doesn't mean it's a bijection

You're right. I don't know what I was thinking.

off the top of my head i would try using the fact that a) every closed subspace of a Hausdorff space is compact and b) that every compact subspace of a Hausdorff space is closed. maybe also use the fact that a continuous image of a compact space is compact. I'm not sure if that will help or not. i'd have to think about it some more.

I have ventured down that avenue. I can show that [itex]f[/itex] maps closed compact sets to closed compact sets.

Im thinking that the easiest way to show that [itex]f(A) = A[/itex] is to show that [itex]f[/itex] is the identity function.

Maybe playing with examples would help. You have things like rotations of disks and rings, contractions of intervals, and even the silly map of the unit circle that maps the point with an angle of t to the point with an angle of 2t.

It seems clear that you'll somehow have to actually use the fact X is compact. For example, you should be able to find a map of R that serves as a counterexample.

Last edited:
Forget the identity function for now. I have another idea.
Let [itex]A_0 \subseteq X[/itex] be a non-empty closed set such that [itex]f(A_0) \subset A_0[/itex]. Then let [itex]A_1 = f(A_0)[/itex] and after iterating we have [itex]f(A_n) \subset A_n[/itex] and

[tex]
A_n = f(A_{n-1}) \quad \forall\, n \in \mathbb{N}
[/tex]

From this we see that [itex]\{A_n\}_{n\in\mathbb{N}}^{\infty}[/itex] is a decreasing sequence of non-empty closed sets. Now let

[tex]
A = \bigcap_{n\in\mathbb{N}}A_n
[/tex]

So [itex]A[/itex] is also non-empty and closed. If we then observe [itex]f(A)[/itex] we can see that [itex]f(A)[/itex] is certainly contained within [itex]f(A_n)[/itex] and in fact

[tex]
f(A) \subset f(A_n) \backslash A_n
[/tex]

for each [itex]n\in\mathbb{N}[/itex]. But this simply says that

[tex]
f(A) \subset A
[/tex]

Now let's take some point [itex]a \in A[/itex] and let [itex]B = f^{-1}(a)[/itex]. Since [itex]a \in A_{n+1} = f(A_n)[/itex] we know that [itex]B \cap A_n \neq \oslash[/itex]. Therefore [itex]B \cap A_n[/itex] is a decreasing sequence of non-empty closed sets in a compact space [itex]X[/itex]. Therefore

[tex]
\bigcap_{n\in\mathbb{N}} B \cap A_n \neq \oslash
[/tex]

Now choose some [itex]y \in \bigcap_{n\in\mathbb{N}} B \cap A_n[/itex]. Then obviously [itex]y \in A[/itex] and [itex]f(y) = a[/itex]. That is [itex]f(A) = A[/itex].

How does this look?

Oxymoron said:
From this we see that [itex]\{A_n\}_{n\in\mathbb{N}}^{\infty}[/itex] is a decreasing sequence of non-empty closed sets.

Why is [itex]\{A_n\}_{n\in\mathbb{N}}^{\infty}[/itex] non-empty? Do you need to prove it or is it obvious? I am working on the same problem and cannot figure out this part.

1. What is a Compact Hausdorff space?

A Compact Hausdorff space is a mathematical concept in topology that describes a topological space that is both compact and Hausdorff. Compactness means that the space is finite in size and can be covered by a finite number of open sets, while Hausdorffness means that any two distinct points in the space can be separated by open sets.

2. What are some examples of Compact Hausdorff spaces?

Examples of Compact Hausdorff spaces include the real line, the n-dimensional Euclidean space, and the Cantor set. In general, many familiar topological spaces such as closed intervals, circles, and spheres are also Compact Hausdorff spaces.

3. What is the significance of a Compact Hausdorff space in mathematics?

Compact Hausdorff spaces are important in mathematics because they have many useful properties that make them easier to study and generalize. For example, they are closed under various operations such as products, subspaces, and quotients, which allows for the construction of new Compact Hausdorff spaces from existing ones.

4. What is the role of continuous functions in Compact Hausdorff spaces?

Continuous functions are an essential tool for studying Compact Hausdorff spaces. They preserve the topological structure of the space, meaning that points that are close together in the domain will also be close together in the range. This allows for the comparison and classification of different Compact Hausdorff spaces.

5. Are all Compact Hausdorff spaces metrizable?

No, not all Compact Hausdorff spaces are metrizable. A topological space is metrizable if it can be described by a metric space, which is a set with a distance function. While many Compact Hausdorff spaces are metrizable, there are also examples of Compact Hausdorff spaces that are not metrizable, such as the long line and the Sorgenfrey line.