B field due to infinite wire

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the force on a finite conducting wire perpendicular to an infinite wire. The suggested formula for this is F = I_f * ∫(μ_0 * I_i / 2πr) dr, where I_f and I_i are the currents in the finite and infinite wires. It is suggested to set up the problem properly by considering the orientation of the wires and their currents. The conversation also mentions the formula for calculating the magnetic field due to I_i at a point on the x-axis and how to integrate to find the magnitude and direction of the force on the finite wire.
cscott

Homework Statement

I want the force on a finite conducting wire that is perpendicular to an infinite wire.

Can I do it with this:

[tex]F = I_f \int{\frac{\mu_0 I_i}{2\pi r}}{dr}[/tex] where [tex]I_f, I_i[/tex] are the currents in the finite and infinite wires.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that’s the way to do it. But what is the region of integration? It would be easier to answer if you had described the exact picture you had in mind. Why is Ii inside the integral? I presume you are dealing with steady currents.

Let’s set it up properly. Suppose the infinite wire lies along the y-axis and Ii is toward +ve y-axis. The finite wire lies on the x-axis from x1 to x2 and If is toward the +ve x-axis.

B due to Ii at a pt x on the x-axis =Bi = k*Ii/x, where I’ve written k for mu_0/2pi. Bi points in the –z dircn.

If we consider an elementary length dx at x, then the force on this is dF = If*Bi*(sin 90)dx = k*If*Ii*dx/x

Now you can integrate from x1 to x2 and tell us the magnitude and direction of the force?

Yes, this equation is known as the Biot-Savart law and it can be used to calculate the magnetic field (B-field) at a point due to a current-carrying wire. In this case, you are interested in the force (F) on a finite wire, which can be calculated by integrating the B-field along the length of the wire. The B-field is dependent on the currents in both the finite and infinite wires, as well as the distance (r) between them. It is important to note that this equation assumes the wires are infinitely long and straight, and the finite wire is perpendicular to the infinite wire.

1. What is the formula for calculating the B field due to an infinite wire?

The formula for the B field (magnetic field) due to an infinite wire is B = (μ0*I)/(2π*r), where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current in the wire, and r is the distance from the wire.

2. How does the distance from the wire affect the B field?

The B field due to an infinite wire is inversely proportional to the distance from the wire. This means that as the distance increases, the B field decreases.

3. What is the direction of the B field around an infinite wire?

The B field around an infinite wire is always circular and perpendicular to the wire. The direction of the B field can be determined using the right-hand rule, where the fingers point in the direction of the current and the thumb points in the direction of the B field.

4. How does the current in the wire affect the B field?

The B field due to an infinite wire is directly proportional to the current in the wire. This means that as the current increases, the B field also increases.

5. Can the B field be negative due to an infinite wire?

No, the B field due to an infinite wire is always positive. This is because the B field is a vector quantity and its magnitude is always positive, even if the direction changes. However, the direction of the B field can be considered negative if it is opposite to the chosen direction of positive current flow.