Hawking Moving to Waterloo (Perimeter Institute)?

• Thread starter George Jones
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hawking
In summary: As in retiring from his job: the Lucasian chair. You have to retire from such positions. Anyway, this thread was started before he'd announced his retirement.
Physics news on Phys.org
Very interesting George.

Now that's one way to put some serious pressure on your government!

Gokul43201 said:
Now that's one way to put some serious pressure on your government!

But it's hardly like Hawking or the rest of DAMTP gets hit by the funding crisis.

Anyway, I'll wait and see if Hawking really moves- from that newspaper article, all that was apparent was that he was going to visit Perimeter for a month. That said, he is 66, so presumably will be retiring soon anyway.

cristo said:
But it's hardly like Hawking or the rest of DAMTP gets hit by the funding crisis.

Anyway, I'll wait and see if Hawking really moves- from that newspaper article, all that was apparent was that he was going to visit Perimeter for a month. That said, he is 66, so presumably will be retiring soon anyway.

I have never pictures Hawking retiring, I watched a documentary a while back called master of the universe or something like that, and the man looked to driven by his work I really can't imagine him retiring until his condition deteriorates to a state where he can no longer work.

cristo said:
He doesn't even have to move ... but the PR damage was done when all the speculation began.

Incidentally, I was only recently given an idea of how bad the problem is in the UK when I got an email from a big group at Cavendish, saying they haven't had a grant come through in ages.

But based on your comment above, I wonder if Condensed Matter is not suffering more than other fields.

But he's also being encouraged to move to Ontario by his University of Cambridge colleague Neil Turok, the mathematical physicist who will take over as Perimeter's executive director on Oct. 1. Perimeter confirmed last night that it has made a standing offer to Hawking.
Interesting. Turok is headed there to assume position of executive director.

Dr. Neil Turok Appointed Executive Director of Perimeter Institute
http://www.perimeterinstitute.ca/News/In_The_Media/Dr._Neil_Turok_Appointed_Executive_Director_of_Perimeter_Institute

With Stephen Hawking, he later developed the Hawking-Turok instanton solutions describing the birth of inflationary universes.
So perhaps - Hawking would be enticed by Turok's move to PI.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gokul43201 said:
He doesn't even have to move ... but the PR damage was done when all the speculation began.[\quote]
Sure, and I don't think there are many people who would disagree with his comments regarding the amalgamation of the two research councils.
But based on your comment above, I wonder if Condensed Matter is not suffering more than other fields.

So my comments may have been a little blasse (sp?), but the centre for theoretical cosmology was only created last year so there must have been some funding there! It is possible that condensed matter has been hit harder- experimental grants do tend to cost more!

Raymond Laflamme, who is the director of the institute for quantum computing in Waterloo, is also a former student of Stephen Hawking... I can't imagine that Hawking would consider moving to Perimeter for the terrific weather.

"Professor Stephen Hawking to Regularly Visit Canada's Perimeter Institute as Distinguished Research Chair"
http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/November2008/27/c4487.html
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20081127.whawking1127/BNStory/National

fourier jr said:
"Professor Stephen Hawking to Regularly Visit Canada's Perimeter Institute as Distinguished Research Chair"
http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/November2008/27/c4487.html
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20081127.whawking1127/BNStory/National

Great news.
The above article is on the PI site
http://www.perimeterinstitute.ca/News/In_The_Media/Stephen_Hawking_to_Regularly_Visit_Perimeter_Institute_as_Distinguished_Research_Chair as noted by http://science.slashdot.org/science/08/11/27/2238252.shtml

I guess that this means that all physicists are now morally obliged to use a Blackberry while drinking our Carlsberg:wink:

cristo said:
That said, he is 66, so presumably will be retiring soon anyway.

Ummm... what exactly would he do with his spare time? All he can really do anymore is think, and by the looks of it he really likes to do that.

WarPhalange said:
Ummm... what exactly would he do with his spare time? All he can really do anymore is think, and by the looks of it he really likes to do that.

As in retiring from his job: the Lucasian chair. You have to retire from such positions. Anyway, this thread was started before he'd announced his retirement.

What is the significance of Hawking moving to Waterloo?

Hawking's decision to move to Waterloo is significant because it marks a major shift in his career and research. He has spent the majority of his career at the University of Cambridge, so this move to the Perimeter Institute in Canada signals a new chapter in his work.

Why did Hawking choose to move to the Perimeter Institute?

Hawking cited the vibrant and collaborative scientific community at the Perimeter Institute as one of the main reasons for his move. He also mentioned the advanced research facilities and the opportunity to work with other renowned physicists as factors in his decision.

What impact will Hawking's move have on the Perimeter Institute?

Hawking's move is expected to have a significant impact on the Perimeter Institute. His presence will bring more attention and funding to the institute, as well as attract other top scientists to collaborate and conduct research there. It will also elevate the institute's reputation in the scientific community.

Will Hawking continue his research at the Perimeter Institute?

Yes, Hawking has stated that he plans to continue his research and writing at the Perimeter Institute. He will also have access to the institute's resources and be able to collaborate with other scientists, which may lead to new and groundbreaking discoveries.

What does this move mean for the University of Cambridge?

Hawking's move to the Perimeter Institute does not mean he is leaving the University of Cambridge entirely. He will still hold the position of Emeritus Lucasian Professor of Mathematics at the university and plans to visit and continue collaborating with colleagues there. However, his move does mean that he will no longer actively teach or conduct research at the university.