Electric field inside a charged cylinder

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the electric field at a point A on the center axis of a charged cylinder with radius R and charge Q. The use of Gauss' law is explored, but it is determined that it is not helpful in this case due to the lack of symmetry. Instead, the electric field can be calculated by summing the contributions of differential rings that make up the cylinder.
yoni162

Homework Statement

A cylinder (hollow) with radius R is charged with charge Q on its outer side. What is the electric field at a point A on its center axis (inside the cylinder)?

Homework Equations

Electric field generated by a charged ring in distance r from its center
Gauss' law

The Attempt at a Solution

I seem to have misunderstood something here..I could look at a ring of width dz and calculate its contribution to the electric field at the point A on the center axis of the cylinder. This will definitely sum up to something, meaning there will be a field at point A.
On the other hand, if I use Gauss' law, I take a cylinder surface of radius r<R surrounding the center axis. Obviously Qin=0, so by conclusion the electric field in any point where r<R is 0. where's my mistake?

Attachments

• cylinder.jpg
    cylinder.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 628
Physics news on Phys.org
Alright I think I've realized my misconception..Gauss' law in this case only tells my the the electric flux will be 0, since there is no charge inside the surface I chose..this doesn't mean that there isn't an electric field there, it just means that all contributions of flux cancel each other out, no? The electric field is there, but it cannot be calculated with Gauss' law, only directly by summing all the field contributions due to the differential rings which makw up the cylinder. Am I correct?

You will definitely get 0 if you use Gauss's Law due to the flux being zero. I think you can use E=k*Q*r-hat/r^2

yoni162 said:
Alright I think I've realized my misconception..Gauss' law in this case only tells my the the electric flux will be 0, since there is no charge inside the surface I chose..this doesn't mean that there isn't an electric field there, it just means that all contributions of flux cancel each other out, no? The electric field is there, but it cannot be calculated with Gauss' law, only directly by summing all the field contributions due to the differential rings which makw up the cylinder. Am I correct?
Yes, your thinking is correct. Gauss' law always applies, but it's not always helpful. It's helpful when symmetry tells you that the field along the surface is uniform, but that's not the case here. Here the field is different near the ends of the cylinder compared to the middle.

Your approach using Gauss' law is correct. The mistake in your thinking is that the electric field inside the charged cylinder is not zero. This is because, while there is no net charge inside the cylinder, there is still a non-zero electric field at every point inside the cylinder due to the charge on the outer surface. This electric field is directed radially towards the center of the cylinder and its magnitude can be calculated using Gauss' law. The fact that the net charge inside the cylinder is zero does not mean that there is no electric field inside the cylinder.

1. What is the formula for calculating the electric field inside a charged cylinder?

The formula for calculating the electric field inside a charged cylinder is E = kλ/r, where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb's constant, λ is the linear charge density, and r is the distance from the center of the cylinder.

2. How does the electric field inside a charged cylinder vary with distance from the center?

The electric field inside a charged cylinder is directly proportional to the distance from the center. This means that as the distance increases, the electric field decreases.

3. What is the direction of the electric field inside a charged cylinder?

The electric field inside a charged cylinder is radial, meaning it points outward from the center of the cylinder.

4. Can the electric field inside a charged cylinder be negative?

Yes, the electric field inside a charged cylinder can be negative. This occurs when the charge on the cylinder is negative, resulting in an inward radial electric field.

5. How does the electric field inside a charged cylinder change if the charge on the cylinder is doubled?

If the charge on the cylinder is doubled, the electric field inside the cylinder will also double. This is because the electric field is directly proportional to the charge on the cylinder.