Do i want to be a mathematician just to prove my intelligence?

In summary, the person is questioning their interest and skill in math due to past experiences and doubts. They chose to major in math as a path of least resistance and to prove their intelligence, but they did not enjoy it and were sick and distracted during college. They also express concerns about whether they truly want to pursue math for the right reasons.
oahz
i think i might possibly be the most confused person alive.

i am not even sure if i enjoy math, let alone if i was smart enough to go that route.

i was never in any sort of academic environment during my developmental elementary years.

from high school to the every end of college i was bug with social, family, and health issues that completely deflected my focus away from school and the academics.

i have a BA in math, but only chose to major in math after I failed at architecture. math was the path of least resistance.

i found math to be secure, absolute. i was never good at subjects like english because everything is just an opinion---and i never had any confidence in my opinions.

my mom is an uneducated peasant. she has an inferiority complex. from the age of 4-8, i was without my dad.

in these crucial years i believe i too developed an inferiority complex. I've since always had self-doubt in everything that i did.

ever since i decided to major in math, I've gradually valued math as a mean to validate myself, to prove my intelligence.

but i never got to enjoy it, i never enjoyed anything during college for that matter.

as i stated, i was sick and distracted during college. in the back of my mind, though, I've still had fears and aspirations for the future which was the reason i did all i can to get my A's and get my degree.

sadly, any average person can get a math BA. what does it take to get a math phD?

Physics news on Phys.org
A vocation.

"do i want to be a mathematician just to prove my intelligence?"

Yes.

No, I was just kidding. I've come across a few people who appear to be motivated this way in the math community, and they always seem infinitely unhappy as a result of it, and burn out fast. I think I was one of them. It makes sense, it's almost certain that there's someone better than you no matter how hard you try. On the other hand, the brilliant ones I've come across are extremely modest, and seemingly oblivious to their own intelligence.

meanrev said:
"do i want to be a mathematician just to prove my intelligence?"

Yes.

No, I was just kidding. I've come across a few people who appear to be motivated this way in the math community, and they always seem infinitely unhappy as a result of it, and burn out fast. I think I was one of them. It makes sense, it's almost certain that there's someone better than you no matter how hard you try. On the other hand, the brilliant ones I've come across are extremely modest, and seemingly oblivious to their own intelligence.

but i seriously do not have any intentions to be better than anyone.

so what are you doing now? are you still in math?

I can understand the desire to prove one's intelligence through academic achievements. However, I would caution against solely pursuing a career in mathematics for this reason. While intelligence may play a role in being successful in mathematics, it is not the sole determining factor. Passion, dedication, and hard work are also important factors in achieving success in any field.

It sounds like you have had a difficult journey in your academic and personal life, and I commend you for persevering and obtaining a BA in math. However, it is important to consider whether you truly enjoy and have a passion for mathematics, or if it was simply the path of least resistance. Pursuing a PhD in mathematics is a significant commitment and requires a deep love and interest in the subject.

I also want to remind you that intelligence is not solely defined by academic achievements. Your experiences and challenges have likely shaped you into a well-rounded and resilient individual. It is important to not base your self-worth solely on your academic accomplishments, but to recognize and value your unique qualities and strengths.

In the end, the decision to become a mathematician should be based on your true passions and interests, not just to prove your intelligence. I encourage you to explore and reflect on your true passions and to seek guidance from mentors or professionals in the field. Only then can you make a decision that is truly fulfilling and meaningful for you.

1. Why do people want to prove their intelligence through mathematics?

Many people see mathematics as a subject that requires high levels of intelligence and therefore, being good at math can be seen as a way to prove one's intelligence. Additionally, solving complex mathematical problems can give a sense of accomplishment and boost one's self-esteem.

2. Is being good at math the only way to prove intelligence?

No, being good at math is not the only way to prove intelligence. Intelligence is a multi-faceted concept and can be demonstrated through various skills and abilities, such as critical thinking, problem-solving, creativity, and emotional intelligence.

3. Can someone be good at math without being intelligent?

Yes, someone can be good at math without being generally intelligent. While math skills may require some level of intelligence, there are also other factors that can contribute to one's success in math, such as practice, determination, and a strong foundation in mathematical concepts.

4. Is it healthy to focus solely on proving one's intelligence through math?

No, it is not healthy to focus solely on proving one's intelligence through math. While it is important to challenge oneself and set goals, it is also important to have a balanced approach and engage in other activities and pursuits that bring joy and fulfillment.

5. Can one's intelligence be measured solely through math ability?

No, one's intelligence cannot be measured solely through math ability. Intelligence is a complex and multi-faceted concept that cannot be accurately captured by a single measure or skill. Additionally, there are different types of intelligence, and math ability is just one aspect of it.