Product of dyadic and a vector

In summary, the formula dVμ = (∂Vμ/∂xη)dxη represents the gradient of a contravariant vector field, where Vμ is the vector field and dxη is the covariant tensor. The dot product of these two terms is a scalar and can be written in a compact form using the covariant derivative. In flat space, the gradient of a contravariant vector can be shown to be a covariant vector using the covariant derivative.
nigelscott
I have:

dVμ = (∂Vμ/∂xη)dxη where Vμ is a contravariant vector field

I believe the () term on the RHS is a covariant tensor. Is the dot product of () and dxη a scalar and how do I write this is compact form. I know how this works for scalars but am not clear when tensors are involved.

Physics news on Phys.org
nigelscott said:
I have:

dVμ = (∂Vμ/∂xη)dxη where Vμ is a contravariant vector field

I believe the () term on the RHS is a covariant tensor. Is the dot product of () and dxη a scalar and how do I write this is compact form. I know how this works for scalars but am not clear when tensors are involved.

You haven't been very specific. What kind of space are you in? Is it flat or curved?

Generically speaking, ##\partial_\nu V^\mu## is not a tensor at all, because in curved space, partial derivatives do not transform nicely under changes of coordinates. Using a covariant derivative,

[tex]\nabla_\nu V^\mu[/tex]
is a tensor of mixed type.

In curved space, "##\mathrm{d} V^\mu##" is not really a sensible thing to do, because it is not covariant under coordinate changes.

Flat space. I am trying to show that the gradient of a contravariant vector is a covariant vector. I understand how to show this for a scalar, but not sure how to extend this to vectors/tensors.

1. What is a dyadic product?

A dyadic product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and produces a matrix. It is also known as an outer product or tensor product.

2. How is a dyadic product different from a vector product?

A dyadic product results in a matrix, while a vector product produces a vector. Additionally, a dyadic product is commutative, meaning the order of the vectors does not matter, whereas a vector product is not commutative.

3. What is the significance of a dyadic product in physics?

In physics, a dyadic product is used to represent the interaction between two vectors, such as force and displacement. It is also commonly used in electromagnetism to describe the relationship between electric and magnetic fields.

4. How is a dyadic product calculated?

A dyadic product is calculated by multiplying the first vector by the transpose of the second vector, resulting in a matrix. For example, if vector A is a column vector and vector B is a row vector, the dyadic product would be A x BT.

5. Can a dyadic product be represented geometrically?

Yes, a dyadic product can be represented geometrically as a parallelogram with the two vectors as its sides. The area of this parallelogram represents the magnitude of the dyadic product, while its orientation is determined by the angle between the two vectors.