Room Temperature Changes With Refrigerator: Warmer or Colder?

• Thread starter MrXow
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of a normal refrigerator being brought into a thermally isolated room at 70 degrees Fahrenheit. The question is whether the room will become warmer or colder, and opinions vary. Some argue that the room will become colder due to the refrigerator cooling the air inside, while others believe the room will become warmer due to the extra energy being expelled from the refrigerator and the principle of increasing entropy. The conversation also mentions a summer experiment with a window air conditioner and the possibility of the room getting warmer in this scenario.
MrXow
Imagine a perfectly thermally isolated room at 70 degrees Fahrenheit. A normal refrigerator that has some reasonable efficiency is brought into the room. It keeps the air inside of it at around 50 degrees or so. Will the room become warmer or colder? I think colder because the refrigerator will cool down the room more than the thermal energy it makes will warm the room.

Physics news on Phys.org
Warmer. The energy taken out from the food inside is dumped into the room, plus the extra energy due to inefficiency of the motor, refrigeration process, etc.

You can do a little experiment next summer. Put a window air conditioner in the middle of a closed room and turn it on. The room will get pretty warm.

This would probably go better in the winter then huh! Hahahaha

the room gets warmer because of 2 reasons, one we are giving in more energy to a system and also if we consider the room to be totally isolated then there is the principle of increasing enthropy( that is if we consider the generator for the refrigerator is in the room :P

Alright thanks

1. Is it better to keep the refrigerator at a warmer or colder temperature?

The optimal temperature for a refrigerator is between 35-38 degrees Fahrenheit. This temperature range helps to slow down the growth of bacteria and keep food fresh for longer periods of time. Therefore, it is better to keep the refrigerator at a colder temperature.

2. How do I know if my refrigerator is too warm or too cold?

One way to determine if your refrigerator is at the correct temperature is to use a thermometer. Place the thermometer in a glass of water and leave it in the refrigerator for 24 hours. Check the temperature and adjust accordingly. Another way is to pay attention to the consistency of your food. If food is spoiling quickly or freezing, then your refrigerator temperature may not be set correctly.

3. Can changes in room temperature affect the temperature of my refrigerator?

Yes, changes in room temperature can affect the temperature of your refrigerator. If the room is warmer, the compressor in the refrigerator will have to work harder to maintain the set temperature, resulting in a colder refrigerator. On the other hand, if the room is colder, the compressor will not have to work as hard, resulting in a warmer refrigerator.

4. What can I do to prevent my refrigerator from getting too warm or too cold?

To prevent your refrigerator from getting too warm or too cold, it is important to regularly check the temperature and adjust it as needed. Additionally, make sure the door seals are in good condition and are not allowing warm air to enter the refrigerator. Keep the refrigerator away from heat sources, such as direct sunlight or the stove, and avoid overfilling it with food, as this can restrict airflow and cause uneven temperatures.

5. How often should I check and adjust the temperature of my refrigerator?

It is recommended to check and adjust the temperature of your refrigerator at least once a month. However, if you notice significant changes in the temperature or your food is spoiling quickly, it may be necessary to check and adjust the temperature more frequently. It is also a good idea to check the temperature after any power outages or if you have made significant changes to the amount of food in your refrigerator.