Temperature of container, temperature of contents

In summary, the claim is that the metal of a beer can can be colder than the beer itself, depending on the ambient temperature. Depending on the circumstances, the can could be colder than the beer within it. However, this is unlikely to happen after opening the can.
anon31337
TL;DR Summary
tl;dr someone claims that the metal of a beer can can be colder than the beer itself when the ambient temperature of the room was warmer than the beer originally was. Can someone with a physics background back me up on this or am I completely wrong?
someone claims that the metal of a beer can can be colder than the beer itself when the ambient temperature of the room was warmer than the beer originally was. Can someone with a physics background back me up on this or am I completely wrong?

The beer came out of the fridge at fridge temperature. Is there a world where the beer can after 15 or so minutes can be colder than the beer within the can? Assume ambient temperature was around 71 degrees Fahrenheit.

Physics news on Phys.org
anon31337 said:
TL;DR Summary: tl;dr someone claims that the metal of a beer can can be colder than the beer itself when the ambient temperature of the room was warmer than the beer originally was. Can someone with a physics background back me up on this or am I completely wrong?

someone claims that the metal of a beer can can be colder than the beer itself when the ambient temperature of the room was warmer than the beer originally was. Can someone with a physics background back me up on this or am I completely wrong?

The beer came out of the fridge at fridge temperature. Is there a world where the beer can after 15 or so minutes can be colder than the beer within the can? Assume ambient temperature was around 71 degrees Fahrenheit.
It depends what you mean by "colder". If you mean lower temperature, then the can cannot be colder than the beer. But, metal may feel colder to the touch, because it's a better conductor. Think of a cold metal rail, which feels colder than the surrounding air.

Likes Vanadium 50
Welcome to PF.

In the first analysis, I would expect the can to be at a temperature between the beer and the environment. The can forms an isotherm. Heat will flow from the environment, to the metal can, then to the beer. The can must have an intermediate temperature.

If you open the can, then it is unlikely the beer will last 15 minutes before it reaches 37°C, 98°F, which would leave the can cooler than both the environment and the beer.

When you open the can, CO2 comes out of solution, but does the beer temperature change as a result? I believe this is too close to call, so will require extensive experimentation, with double-blind trials and several independent controls. If you could provide me with a slab of 24 cans, I would be prepared to begin the investigation.

• Haha
Likes jrmichler, hutchphd, russ_watters and 2 others
A slab of 24 cans. Nice. Had not run across that term before......
For a double-blind test you may need two cases

Drink two cases and you'll be double blind!

• Haha
Likes nasu, hutchphd and DaveC426913
Yeah, I think the key is perception of cold, which is a matter of heat transfer.

In Australia, the roads are long and straight, with few intersections. Dehydration can be an issue. The advantage of the 'slab' is that it packs flat, so is more stable on the passenger seat, or as a ready-reserve, on the floor below the passenger's knees. The passenger can then regulate the flow, or allow the driver to grope for a can, while he keeps his eyes safely on the road.

It is important to maintain hydration. Rapid assured access to fluids is a must.

Yep that's my story officer......

Baluncore said:
I believe this is too close to call, so will require extensive experimentation, with double-blind trials and several independent controls. If you could provide me with a slab of 24 cans, I would be prepared to begin the investigation.
A test with only one subject will never pass peer review. You need one slab per peer, and enough peers to be statistically significant.

anon31337 said:
TL;DR Summary: tl;dr someone claims that the metal of a beer can can be colder than the beer itself when the ambient temperature of the room was warmer than the beer originally was. Can someone with a physics background back me up on this or am I completely wrong?

Is there a world where the beer can after 15 or so minutes can be colder than the beer within the can?
The laws of thermodynamics require that the can be warmer than the beer and colder than the room. As others have said, the metal can feels colder than it is because the metal conducts heat very well.

Likes Baluncore
There was a perplexing myth in Vietnam (at least according to author Niel Sheehan "John Paul Vann in Vietnam: A Bright and Shining Lie" ) that one could cool a sixpack in the jungle by burying it in sand, anointing the sand with gasoline and then igniting this votive mound. Seems unlikely. Luckilly I have no firsthand experience.

hutchphd said:
... that one could cool a six-pack in the jungle by burying it in sand, anointing the sand with gasoline and then igniting this votive mound.
The soil temperature, at depth, approaches the average of the daily cycle.
Simply burying a six-pack will cool it during the day.

During the heat of the day, as the flame heat rises, air is drawn from deeper in the open structured soil, that is cooler than the daytime surface. You do not see the fuel continue to burn for quite some time, below the soil surface, where it must be drawing air from below.

There are two confounding variables here; the heat of the fire changes your perspective of hot, while delaying the certain promise of satisfaction, increases the appreciation.

• Haha
Likes hutchphd
Baluncore said:
The soil temperature, at depth, approaches the average of the daily cycle.
Simply burying a six-pack will cool it during the day.

During the heat of the day, as the flame heat rises, air is drawn from deeper in the open structured soil, that is cooler than the daytime surface. You do not see the fuel continue to burn for quite some time, below the soil surface, where it must be drawing air from below.

There are two confounding variables here; the heat of the fire changes your perspective of hot, while delaying the certain promise of satisfaction, increases the appreciation.
Don't forget the "Mpemba effect."

I suppose any amount of cooling is better than none in the Delta. Also the evaporative cooling provide by the gasoline, unaffected by the otherwise saturated water humidity of the amosphere would produce significant heat flow from the six pack. This may be less myth than I originally thought. Time for a science project indeed. You'll find me in the sandbox.......

1. Does the temperature of a container affect the temperature of its contents?

Yes, the temperature of a container can affect the temperature of its contents. Heat transfer occurs between the container and its contents until thermal equilibrium is reached, meaning both the container and the contents will eventually stabilize at the same temperature. The rate and extent of this temperature change depend on the materials of the container and the contents, the difference in their initial temperatures, and the environment's temperature.

2. How quickly does the temperature of the contents change to match the temperature of the container?

The rate at which the temperature of the contents changes to match that of the container depends on several factors including the thermal conductivity of the container material, the specific heat capacity of the contents, the surface area of the container in contact with the contents, and the initial temperature difference between the container and the contents. Materials with high thermal conductivity, like metals, will equalize temperature faster than those with low thermal conductivity, like plastics or glass.

3. Can insulating a container keep its contents at a desired temperature for longer?

Yes, insulating a container can significantly help maintain the temperature of its contents for a longer period. Insulation materials work by reducing the rate of heat transfer between the contents of the container and the external environment. This is useful for both keeping hot contents warm and cold contents cool, making it a common practice for food storage and transport.

4. What materials are best for maintaining the temperature of container contents?

Materials that are best for maintaining the temperature of container contents are those with good insulative properties or high thermal resistance. Some of the most effective materials include styrofoam, fiberglass, and polyurethane foam. For scenarios requiring rapid temperature change or maintenance, materials with high thermal conductivity like copper or aluminum might be used instead. The choice of material often balances between thermal properties, cost, weight, and usability.

5. How does the size of a container affect the rate of temperature change in its contents?

The size of a container can significantly affect the rate of temperature change in its contents. Larger containers often have a greater volume-to-surface area ratio, which can slow down the rate of heat transfer compared to smaller containers with a lower volume-to-surface area ratio. This means that in larger containers, the contents may take longer to reach thermal equilibrium with the container walls or the external environment compared to smaller containers.