Finding an AP Physics B Textbook - Suggestions?

In summary, the conversation is about finding a suitable AP Physics B textbook and the confusion around whether or not to choose one with calculus. The syllabus for the course states that it is algebra based. One person suggests the Giancoli 6th edition textbook, but there is uncertainty about its quality and price.
BloodyFrozen
I've been looking around for a AP Physics B textbook (high school), but haven't found any yet.

Any suggestions?:tongue2:

It should include all of the topics in this syllabus (can be in more than one Vol.)

http://apcentral.collegeboard.com/apc/public/repository/ap06_physicsb_syllabus1.pdf

P.S. Should I get one of these? If so, which one should I get? First one has no Calculus involved, second one does.., but the one with Calculus is not under the official AP textbooks list. Will the second still be as good?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0130606200/?tag=pfamazon01-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0131495089/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Physics B doesn't have calculus.

fss said:
Physics B doesn't have calculus.

Exactly what I thought, but somewhere I saw that some do have it(uncommon) though

The syllabus you linked to clearly states that it is algebra based.

my ap physics class uses the Giancoli 6th edition textbook

Is it any good?

not sure. we have some summer work to do for it but I still haven't started it. here are some reviews from amazon:
kinda pricey i think but I've never had to buy a textbook myself so not too sure if that's really expensive or not

1. What is the best AP Physics B textbook?

The best AP Physics B textbook will vary depending on individual learning styles and preferences. Some popular options include "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Serway and Jewett, and "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday and Resnick. It is important to carefully review the content and structure of each textbook to determine which one will be most effective for your needs.

2. Are there any online resources for AP Physics B textbooks?

Yes, there are many online resources for AP Physics B textbooks. Some popular options include OpenStax, Khan Academy, and MIT OpenCourseWare. These resources offer free or low-cost access to digital versions of textbooks, as well as additional study materials and practice problems.

3. How can I determine if a textbook is appropriate for the AP Physics B exam?

The best way to determine if a textbook is appropriate for the AP Physics B exam is to review the course outline and objectives provided by the College Board. Compare the content and topics covered in the textbook to the course outline to ensure that all necessary concepts are included.

4. Are there any reviews or ratings for AP Physics B textbooks?

Yes, there are many reviews and ratings available for AP Physics B textbooks online. Websites like Amazon, Goodreads, and Barnes and Noble allow users to leave reviews and ratings for textbooks they have used. You can also ask for recommendations from teachers, classmates, or online communities to get a better understanding of the quality and effectiveness of different textbooks.

5. Is it necessary to have a physical textbook, or can I use a digital version?

It is not necessary to have a physical textbook for AP Physics B. A digital version can be just as effective, and often offers additional features such as interactive simulations and videos. However, some students may prefer having a physical textbook for easier reference and note-taking. Ultimately, it is a personal preference and both options can be effective.