Thermodynamics problem: Adiabatic free expansion

In summary, a rigid, non-conducting tank with a volume of 4.6 m^3 is divided into two parts by a thin membrane. One side is filled with nitrogen at 3.1 bar and 333.5 K, while the other side is evacuated. After the membrane ruptures, the gas fills the entire tank. Using the ideal gas law, the final pressure of the gas in the tank is calculated to be 1.03 bar. However, the temperature does change due to the gas doing work to expand, and the correct final pressure is 1.76 bar. The original analysis of the problem was correct, but the adiabatic process relationship used was for reversible processes, which is not
nakamura25

Homework Statement

A rigid ( ie. Constant volume), non-conducting ( ie. Perfectly insulated, no heat losses or gain) tank with a volume of 4.6 m^3. The tank is divided into two unequal parts by a thin membrane. One side of the membrane representing 1/3 of the tank is filled with nitrogen ( may be assumed to be an ideal gas) at 3.1 bar and 333.5 K. The other side of the membrane is evacuated. The membrane ruptures and the gas fills the entire tank. Heat capacity of nitrogen, Cp=3.5 R.
What is the final pressure of the gas in the tank?

The Attempt at a Solution

My thought was:
Non-conducting means adiabatic, hence Q = 0.
Free expansion, no external work, W = 0.
delta u = Q + W = Cp*(deltaT) = 0. So the temperature stays the same.
Since nitrogen can be assumed to be ideal gas, I used ideal gas law to calculated final pressure.
(P1)*(V1) = (P2)*(V2)
(3.1 bar)*(1/3)V = (P2)*(V)
P2 = 3.1/3 = 1.03 bar

Later on I saw this video lecture by UC Boulder:
http://www.learncheme.com/page/ideal-gas-expansion-closed
I think the question and result are the same for my case. So I summited my answer. But it turned out that the temperature does change, since the gas will do work to expand. Also, the final pressure should be 1.76 bar. I tried to use the adiabatic process equation p2/p1 = (V1/V2)^(Cp/Cv). Still could not get the right answer.

My questions are:
What's wrong with my reasoning? Does that mean the solution in the video is also wrong?
How to solve this problem for final pressure and temperature?

I'd really appreciate your effort. Any hint or solution would be helpful. Thank you.

Best Regards,
Naka

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The adiabatic process relationship you used is strictly for reversible process, which in this case the system is not. That's why you're getting the wrong answer

Also, it depends on what you choose as your system. If the whole entity inside the tank is the system then V is constant. Which means Work is zero...

Your original analysis was flawless. I like SN94's approach in post #3, taking the system as the entire contents of the tank. That certainly confirms that W = 0. So ΔU=0, and there is no change in temperature. And your calculation of the final pressure is correct. My only criticism if that you wrote down the equation for ΔU incorrectly. It should be ΔU=mCvdT, not Cp.

If your answer was marked wrong, whoever marked it wrong was incorrect.

Chet

Likes Ortanul

1. What is adiabatic free expansion in thermodynamics?

Adiabatic free expansion is a process in thermodynamics where a gas expands rapidly and without any heat exchange with its surroundings. It occurs when the gas is allowed to expand into a vacuum or an insulated container.

2. What is the significance of adiabatic free expansion?

The significance of adiabatic free expansion lies in its ability to demonstrate the first law of thermodynamics, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred. In this process, the change in internal energy of the gas is equal to the work done on the gas, making it a useful tool for studying energy transfer in thermodynamic systems.

3. How is adiabatic free expansion different from isothermal expansion?

The main difference between adiabatic free expansion and isothermal expansion is the presence of heat exchange. Adiabatic free expansion occurs without any heat transfer, while isothermal expansion takes place at a constant temperature, meaning there is heat transfer to maintain the temperature.

4. What are the applications of adiabatic free expansion?

Adiabatic free expansion has applications in various fields, including energy production and storage, air compression and expansion in engines, and refrigeration and air conditioning systems. It is also used in studying the properties of gases and their behavior under different conditions.

5. Can adiabatic free expansion be reversible?

No, adiabatic free expansion is an irreversible process. This is because it involves a sudden and rapid change in the volume of the gas without any heat exchange, leading to an increase in entropy and a decrease in the efficiency of energy conversion. However, it can be approximated as a reversible process if it occurs slowly enough, and the gas behaves ideally.