Books for introductory linear algebra course

In summary, the conversation discusses taking the course Linear Algebra for Engineering, which covers topics such as linear equations, matrices, determinants, vector spaces, eigenvalues, and complex numbers. The person also plans to use additional books, specifically "Linear Algebra with Applications" by Keith, and asks for recommendations for other good books. They mention using "Introduction to Linear Algebra" by Johnson in the past and note that it includes applications, but the link provided does not work.
rootX
Hi,
I am taking this course:
Linear Algebra for Engineering
Linear equations, matrices and determinants. Introduction to vector spaces. Eigenvalues and diagonalization. Applications. Complex numbers.

I am going to use some additionals books along with the course book ("Linear Algebra with Applications" by Keith.
So, wondering if anyone can suggest me some good books?

If you have time, can you see list of these books,and try picking good ones..

here

thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
When I took Linear Algebra, there was no Lin Alg for Engineer's :/. We used:

Introduction to Linear Algebra by Johnson 5th ed.

I like'd it a lot but there's really only 1 application that we covered (doing simple electric circuits using matrice's). But they also have a whole chapter (7) which covere's applications which my class skipped...

Also your link doesn't work it says that the session time'd out.

Hello there! I highly recommend the following books for your introductory linear algebra course:

1. "Linear Algebra and Its Applications" by David C. Lay - This book is commonly used in introductory linear algebra courses and provides a solid foundation in the basics of linear equations, matrices, and vector spaces.

2. "Introduction to Linear Algebra" by Gilbert Strang - This book is known for its clear and concise explanations and includes many real-world applications of linear algebra, making it a great supplement to your course material.

3. "Linear Algebra: A Modern Introduction" by David Poole - This book offers a modern approach to linear algebra, including a focus on computational aspects and applications in data science and machine learning.

4. "Linear Algebra Done Right" by Sheldon Axler - This book is highly recommended for its rigorous and abstract approach to linear algebra, making it a great resource for students planning to pursue further studies in mathematics or related fields.

I hope these suggestions help you in your studies, and I wish you all the best in your course! Happy learning!

1. What is the purpose of an introductory linear algebra course?

An introductory linear algebra course is designed to introduce students to the fundamental concepts and techniques of linear algebra, which is a branch of mathematics that focuses on the study of linear equations, matrices, and vector spaces. This course is essential for students pursuing degrees in mathematics, engineering, physics, and other fields that require a strong foundation in mathematical reasoning and problem-solving skills.

2. What topics are typically covered in an introductory linear algebra course?

The topics covered in an introductory linear algebra course may vary depending on the specific curriculum and instructor, but typically include: systems of linear equations, vector operations, matrix algebra, determinants, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, linear transformations, and applications of linear algebra. Some courses may also cover additional topics such as least squares regression and diagonalization.

3. What are some recommended textbooks for an introductory linear algebra course?

There are many textbooks available for introductory linear algebra courses, but some popular options include "Linear Algebra and Its Applications" by David C. Lay, "Elementary Linear Algebra" by Howard Anton and Chris Rorres, and "Linear Algebra: A Modern Introduction" by David Poole. It is important to choose a textbook that aligns with the specific curriculum and learning objectives of the course.

4. Is prior knowledge of calculus necessary for an introductory linear algebra course?

While prior knowledge of calculus is not typically required for an introductory linear algebra course, it can be helpful for understanding some of the more advanced concepts and applications. However, most courses are designed to be accessible to students with a basic understanding of algebra and geometry.

5. How can students effectively prepare for an introductory linear algebra course?

Students can prepare for an introductory linear algebra course by reviewing basic algebra and geometry concepts, practicing with matrices and vectors, and familiarizing themselves with the key topics and terminology. It can also be helpful to seek out additional resources such as online tutorials, practice problems, and study groups.