Where would the electric field be strongest on a charged metal object?

In summary, the picture attached shows a metal object with labeled regions where the distribution of charges on the surface would be if it has a net negative charge. The electric field lines near the surface are also shown. The highest potential on the surface would be at the point where the negative charges are concentrated, as charges tend to gather at pointy bits on a charged conductor. This is because the field strength spikes at these points. The reason for this is due to the mutual forces between like charges on a smooth vs. pointy surface. On a flat surface, the force vectors are directed in a general direction, but on a pointy surface like a needle, the force vectors are more concentrated, resulting in a stronger electric field.
cheerspens

Homework Statement

The picture for my question is attached. I labeled on the picture, which is a metal object, where I thought the distribution of charges on the surface would be if it has a net negative charge and the electric field lines near the surface.
  • At what point on this object would be most likely to receive a chock if you brought your hand near?
  • Which point, A or B, on theis object's surface will be at the highest potential?

Homework Equations

No equations for this.

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first question, I want to say the answer would be in the region where the negative charges (electrons) are located. Is this correct?
For the second question, I'm confused because I want to say that the potentials would be equal.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 349
Physics news on Phys.org
On a charged conductor charges tend to get concentrated at pointy bits. The field strength spikes at, well, spikes! This is why high voltage systems (like Tesla coils and Van de Graff generator accumulators) tend to be smooth surfaced and often spherical, to minimize the radius of curvature of the components.

To understand why this might be, consider the mutual forces that act between like charges residing on the surface of a conductor. What's the general direction of those force vectors on a smooth (flat) surface? How about on a pointy needle?

1. What is the relationship between metal objects and charge?

The relationship between metal objects and charge is that metals can easily conduct electricity because they contain free electrons that are able to move freely and carry a charge.

2. How does the charge of a metal object affect its properties?

The charge of a metal object can affect its properties by causing it to attract or repel other charged objects. It can also impact its conductivity and resistance to electricity.

3. Can metal objects hold a charge?

Yes, metal objects can hold a charge. When a metal object comes into contact with a charged object, some of the charge can transfer to the metal, causing it to become charged as well.

4. What happens when a metal object is connected to a power source?

When a metal object is connected to a power source, it becomes part of an electrical circuit. Electrons from the power source flow through the metal and can be used to power devices or perform work.

5. Can metal objects lose their charge over time?

Yes, metal objects can lose their charge over time due to a process called charge leakage. This occurs when the charged object comes into contact with a conductor, such as air or another material, which neutralizes the charge.