Transfer function of an air levitation system

In summary: The Bernoulli principle will also play a role in this system, as it relates air pressure and velocity. Overall, it is important to carefully design and test the system to gather accurate data for the transfer function and use a PID controller to control the ball's height. Different operating points and models may also be useful in understanding and optimizing the system.
zacharoni16
I'm building an air levitation system that will levitate a ball in a closed tube with a DC motor fan at one end of it. I'm having a hard time thinking of a way to obtain the transfer function of the system. I know the net vertical force will be the force of gravity the gradients of air pressure from the fan, and the drag force. Also I believe the Bernoulli principle would apply here?

I'm having a hard time relating the fan speed (changed with PWM) to the levitated position of the ball in the tube. I have an ultrasonic sensor to sense the position of the ball, I'm just having trouble modeling the system to get a transfer function and use PID controller.

I think I derived the equation to give height from a jet of air:

1/(height)^2 * ((1-4a)/3*height) = 4a(density of ball)G/3A^2(density of air)

it seems like the height of the ball has nothing to do with air velocity so that's good news, but it completely confuses me on what and how to control its height and develop a transfer function

With the complexity of this system or similar system, do you have to do it from a model like different operating points? Not sure, hopeful for someone to give advice, insight, and direction.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
The best way to obtain the transfer function of this system is to use a combination of experimental data and mathematical modelling. You can start by measuring the position of the ball with the ultrasonic sensor, then plotting the response of the ball as you vary the PWM duty cycle of the fan motor. This will give you a good idea of how the two quantities are related. You can then use this data to construct a mathematical model that describes the relationship between the two variables, and from this model, you can derive the transfer function of the system.

1. What is a transfer function?

A transfer function is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the input and output of a system. In the context of an air levitation system, it describes how changes in the input (such as voltage or air pressure) affect the output (such as height or stability) of the system.

2. How is a transfer function derived?

A transfer function is typically derived by analyzing the physical components and properties of a system using principles of physics and mathematics. For an air levitation system, this may involve considering the properties of air pressure, magnetic fields, and electrical circuits.

3. How does the transfer function affect the performance of an air levitation system?

The transfer function plays a crucial role in determining the stability, response time, and accuracy of an air levitation system. A well-designed transfer function can ensure that the system responds quickly and accurately to input changes, while a poorly designed one may result in instability or slow response times.

4. Can the transfer function of an air levitation system be modified?

Yes, the transfer function of an air levitation system can be modified by changing the physical components or properties of the system. For example, adjusting the strength of the magnetic field or the size of the levitation platform can alter the transfer function and affect the system's performance.

5. How is the transfer function of an air levitation system used in practice?

The transfer function can be used to design, optimize, and control the performance of an air levitation system. It can also be used for troubleshooting and identifying potential issues or improvements in the system. Additionally, the transfer function can be implemented in control algorithms to ensure the system operates as desired.