Work done by tension question

In summary, the question is asking for the work done by the tension force on a simple pendulum, which is given by the formula W=Fd. However, since the tension force is not constant and changes with the angle of the pendulum, it must be broken down into components parallel and perpendicular to the displacement. By using the work-energy theorem and integrating the force from maximum deflection angle to 0, the work done by the tension force can be determined. It should also be noted that the tension force is always perpendicular to the displacement of the pendulum's bob.
dnt

Homework Statement

A simple pendulum, consisting of mass m and a string, swings upward making an angle X with the vertical. What is the work done by the tension force? (answer in terms of mg)

Homework Equations

W=Fd

The Attempt at a Solution

What I need to do is solve for the tension force, which at the bottom of the pendulum is simply mg, right? However I am having trouble determing the distance that the tension force is applied to. Can anyone get me started in the right direction? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is W=Fd? What does each term mean?

The tension doesn't equal weight at the bottom, its going in a circle. My guess would be to use the work energy theorem, but the question is pretty vague and the magnitude of tension changes at each point in the swing

W only equals Fs if the vectors are both in the same direction.

You want the dot product of the Vectors Force and displacement.

That is given for vectors v and w by [tex]v^{\rightarrow} \cdot w^{\rightarrow} = ||v^{\rightarrow}|| ||w^{\rightarrow}|| \cos \theta[/tex] Where [tex]||v^{\rightarrow}||[/tex] is the magnitude of vector v. Same would apply to w. Theta is the angle between the two vectors.

So for work we will have two vectors given, the Force and displacement. Since we only want the force vector in the same direction as the displacement, we break it into 2 components, Force Parallel to displacement, and Force Perpendicular to Displacement.

Draw a simple right angle triangle with F vector as the hypotenuse, and draw the other 2 sides as the components, Parallel and Perpendicular. It is easy to see from the diagram that the Parallel vector is given by the F vector multiplyed by cos theta, and Perpendicular Vector by sin theta.

This ties in with common sense, because If the angle is zero, then there is no perpendicular force, and Fsin theta shows that. And the parallel force is the only force is the angle is zero, also shown by the formula.

Using those, you can find out the Magnitude of the Parallel vector, which is Fcos theta, multiply it by s and we get the work done :).

Sorry if a lot of this was old knowledge, i did it just incase you didnt know.

It's not just "multiply it by s" Gib Z, since the force varies with angle theta, he needs to integrate your given force from maximum deflection angle to 0. Use that [itex] \mathrm{d}s = L\mathrm{d}\theta[/itex], where [itex]L[/itex] is the length of the string holding the pendulum.

Last edited:
>.< Your Right of course, I must learn to read the question lol. I just read robphys post, because usually the 2nd post gives what the original poster did wrong away...>.< my bad

You should note that the tension force is always perpendicular to the displacement of the bob. Using the definitionn of work, what does that tell you about the work done by the tension force?

1. What is work done by tension?

Work done by tension refers to the amount of energy transferred when an object is pulled or moved by a force acting in the direction of motion. It is a measure of the work done by the tension force on the object.

2. How do you calculate work done by tension?

The work done by tension can be calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the tension force by the distance the object is moved in the direction of the tension force. This can be represented by the equation W = Fd, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

3. Is work done by tension always positive?

No, work done by tension can be positive, negative, or zero depending on the direction of the tension force and the displacement of the object. If the tension force and displacement are in the same direction, the work done will be positive. If they are in opposite directions, the work done will be negative. If there is no displacement, the work done will be zero.

4. How does the angle between the tension force and displacement affect the work done?

The angle between the tension force and displacement affects the work done by tension through the use of the cosine function. The work done is equal to the magnitude of the tension force multiplied by the displacement multiplied by the cosine of the angle between them. This means that if the angle is 0 degrees, the work done is at its maximum, and if the angle is 90 degrees, the work done is 0.

5. Can work done by tension be negative?

Yes, work done by tension can be negative. This occurs when the tension force and displacement are in opposite directions, resulting in a negative value for work. This means that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the tension force, and the tension force is doing negative work on the object.