Question on Elliptic Orbits. Difficult.

• Thread starter Wesc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Orbits
In summary: This will give you the eccentricity. In summary, the conversation discusses a satellite's elliptic orbit around Earth with a maximum distance of 6R and a minimum distance of 3R. It is shown that the maximum velocity is equal to twice the minimum velocity, which is equal to (2/3)*sqrt(GM/R). The eccentricity of the orbit is found to be 1/3, using the equation 1/r = (1 + e*cos(Theta))/L and the values for Rmax and Rmin. Conservation of energy is used to relate the velocities and distances, but it does not provide any additional information.
Wesc
A satellite undergoes an elliptic orbit about the Earth of mass M, with maximum
distance 6R and minimum distance 3R from the Earth's centre.

(a) Show that twice the minimum velocity v(min) = the maximum velocity v(max) = (2/3)*sqrt(GM/R)

(b) Show eccentricity = 1/3

We are told that we can assume the orbit is described by 1/r = (1 + e*cos(Theta))/L where where r is the distance from the Earth’s centre, e is the eccentricity with 0 ≤ e < 1
and l = h^2/GM for constant h, the angular momentum per unit mass

How I started off was using the conservation of angular momentum and from that got v(max) = 2*v(min) . Tried conservation of energy but got nowhere there. Also tried other equations but I'm not getting anywhere! If anyone could show me a solution I would be so grateful :) Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show exactly how conservation of energy got you nowhere?

For (b), what are the min/max values of the RHS of the equation of motion you were given?

voko said:
Can you show exactly how conservation of energy got you nowhere?

For (b), what are the min/max values of the RHS of the equation of motion you were given?
Hey, thanks for the feedback.

Well for conservation of energy I did this:

E = (1/2)*m*v(max)^2 - G*M*m/r(min) = (1/2)*m*v(min)^2 - G*M*m/r(max)
I then canceled the 'm's .. and I'm not sure if you can really extract any other information from there??

And if you're talking about this equation of motion 1/r = (1 + e*cos(Theta))/L then the max is at cos(Theta) = 1 and min at cos(theta) = -1 but I'm just not sure what the next step is? I'm just a bit lost. :/

Wesc said:
Hey, thanks for the feedback.

Well for conservation of energy I did this:

E = (1/2)*m*v(max)^2 - G*M*m/r(min) = (1/2)*m*v(min)^2 - G*M*m/r(max)
I then canceled the 'm's .. and I'm not sure if you can really extract any other information from there??

You have obtained the relationship between Vmax and Vmin, and you were given the relationship between Rmax and Rmin. Use them.

And if you're talking about this equation of motion 1/r = (1 + e*cos(Theta))/L then the max is at cos(Theta) = 1 and min at cos(theta) = -1 but I'm just not sure what the next step is? I'm just a bit lost. :/

That is correct, plug that into the equation and use Rmax and Rmin.

I would like to first commend the questioner for their efforts in trying to solve this problem. It can be challenging to tackle complex equations and concepts in physics, but perseverance and seeking help is key to understanding and solving difficult problems.

Now, let's break down the problem and go through the steps to solve it.

(a) To show that v(min) = v(max) = (2/3)*sqrt(GM/R), we need to use the conservation of energy and angular momentum.

Conservation of energy tells us that the total energy of a satellite in orbit is constant, and it is given by the sum of its kinetic and potential energies. Mathematically, it can be written as:

E = 1/2 * m * v^2 - G * M * m / r

Where E is the total energy, m is the mass of the satellite, v is its velocity, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the Earth, and r is the distance between the satellite and the Earth's center.

Since we are dealing with an elliptic orbit, the satellite's distance from the Earth's center will vary between the minimum distance (r(min)) and the maximum distance (r(max)). So, we can rewrite the equation as:

E = 1/2 * m * v(min)^2 - G * M * m / r(min) = 1/2 * m * v(max)^2 - G * M * m / r(max)

We can then rearrange the equation to solve for v(min) and v(max):

v(min) = sqrt(2 * G * M * (1/r(min) - 1/(2*r(max))))

v(max) = sqrt(2 * G * M * (1/r(max) - 1/(2*r(min))))

Now, we are given that the maximum distance is 6R and the minimum distance is 3R, so we can substitute those values into the equations:

v(min) = sqrt(2 * G * M * (1/3R - 1/(2*6R))) = sqrt(G * M / 3R)

v(max) = sqrt(2 * G * M * (1/6R - 1/(2*3R))) = sqrt(2 * G * M / 3R)

Since we have v(min) = sqrt(G * M / 3R) and v(max) =

Related to Question on Elliptic Orbits. Difficult.

1. What is an elliptic orbit?

An elliptic orbit is a type of orbit in which an object revolves around another object in an oval or elliptical shape. It is one of the three types of conic sections, along with circular and hyperbolic orbits.

2. What makes an elliptic orbit difficult to understand?

An elliptic orbit is difficult to understand because it involves complex mathematical concepts and calculations, such as Kepler's laws of planetary motion and orbital mechanics. Additionally, the shape of an elliptic orbit can vary greatly depending on the eccentricity of the orbit, making it challenging to visualize.

3. How is an elliptic orbit different from a circular orbit?

An elliptic orbit differs from a circular orbit in terms of shape and speed. Unlike a circular orbit, which has a constant distance between the two objects and a constant speed, an elliptic orbit has varying distance and speed as the object moves closer or further away from the center object.

4. What are the applications of elliptic orbits?

Elliptic orbits have many practical applications, such as in satellite and space missions, where objects need to travel long distances and maintain a specific trajectory. They are also used in the study of celestial bodies, such as planets, comets, and asteroids.

5. Can an object have an elliptic orbit around multiple objects?

Yes, an object can have an elliptic orbit around multiple objects, known as a binary or multiple-star system. In this case, the object orbits around the center of mass of the system, which is the combined gravitational pull of all the objects in the system.