How can i find the Potential difference?

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the potential difference required to accelerate an electron from rest to a speed of 0.99c. The equation used is E=γmc^2=V*q, and the final answer is found to be 3.1e6 V. The question is raised about the units being eV instead of V, but it is clarified that the change in energy is the same in both units.
yy205001

Homework Statement

Through what potential difference must an electron be accelerate, starting from rest, to acquire a speed of 0.99c?

vf=0.99c(m/s), vi=0(m/s), m=9.11e-31(kg), q=1.6e-19(C)

Homework Equations

E=γmc^2=V*q

The Attempt at a Solution

I plugged in all knowns in the equation and find V(emf).

What i got is 3.63e6 eV but the answer is 3.1e6 V.

What did i do wrong in the progress??

Physics news on Phys.org
The voltage gives the electron extra energy over its rest energy, mc^2. So Vg=mc^2(γ-1).

ehild

But how does (γ-1) come from??

ehild, Never mind, i got it!

But should the unit be eV rather than V?

The question is potential difference, that is volts. But the change of energy of the electron is the same number in eV as the acceleration voltage: 1 elementary charge times U potential difference is 1*U =U eV.

ehild

1. What is potential difference?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential between two points. It is measured in volts and represents the amount of work needed to move a unit of electric charge from one point to another.

2. How can potential difference be calculated?

Potential difference can be calculated by dividing the work done in moving a charge between two points by the amount of charge moved. It can also be calculated by multiplying the electric field strength by the distance between the two points.

3. What is the unit of potential difference?

The unit of potential difference is the volt (V), named after Italian physicist Alessandro Volta. It is equivalent to one joule per coulomb of charge.

4. How is potential difference related to current?

According to Ohm's law, potential difference is directly proportional to current and resistance in a circuit. This means that as potential difference increases, current also increases, while resistance remains constant.

5. What factors affect potential difference?

Potential difference is affected by the amount of charge being moved, the distance between the two points, and the strength of the electric field. It is also influenced by the type and material of the conductor, temperature, and the presence of other electric charges in the surrounding environment.