Determining Monotonicity & Bounds in Sequences

In summary: -1 is the only number that is positive and as the amount of negative numbers increase, the sequence converges towards -1.
badtwistoffate
Need help clairfying some stuff.
How do you determine if a Sequence is not monotonic? Also if its just inc. or dec. its monotonic?
For example.
Seq=An= 1/(2n+3)
First 4 terms are {1/5,1/7,1/9,1/11,...}
So its decreasing...and I guess monotonic?
And how would you determine if that sequences is bounded?
It looks like a upper bound of 1/5 but a lower bound of 0?
Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
badtwistoffate said:
Need help clairfying some stuff.
How do you determine if a Sequence is not monotonic? Also if its just inc. or dec. its monotonic?
For example.
Seq=An= 1/(2n+3)
First 4 terms are {1/5,1/7,1/9,1/11,...}
So its decreasing...and I guess monotonic?
yes, if it's decreasing then it's monotonic. i think if you look in your book the definition of decreasing is something like "a sequence is decreasing if a_n > a_(n+1) or a_n = a_(n+1)" if you plug n & (n+1) into your sequence you'll see that it's decreasing. to show that a sequence isn't monotonic you'll have to show that it isn't decreasing nor increasing. so it would have to decrease & then increase, or increase then decrease

And how would you determine if that sequences is bounded?
It looks like a upper bound of 1/5 but a lower bound of 0?
Help?
a sequence is bounded if it fits the definition of a bounded sequence. can't remember what that is, you'll have to look it up.

in the case of that sequence, to show bounded ness, you just DO IT.

all the terms are positve, hence bounded below by 0 (and -1, and -pi), and all of the terms are less than 1 hence bounded above by 1, and many other numbers. you don't have to find the 'best' bound.

you'd have no problem showing that the sequence 2n+3 was strictly increasing and bounded below by 5, would you? so it's as easy to show the reciprocal is strictly decreasing and bounded above by 1/5

If you want a really formal proof that a sequence is, say, decreasing and bounded below you can try this:

If a sequence is decreasing- that is, [itex]a_{n+1}\leq a_n[/itex], then [itex]a_{n+1}- a_n\leq 0[/itex]. In this particular case,
[tex]a_{n+1}- a_n= \frac{1}{2(n+1)+3}- \frac{1}{2n+3}= \frac{1}{2n+5}- \frac{1}{2n+3}= \frac{2n+3}{(2n+5)(2n+3)}- \frac{2n+5}{(2n+5)(2n+3)}= \frac{-2}{(2n+5)(2n+3)}[/tex]
which is clearly negative.

Similarly, if [itex]a_{n+1}\leq a_n[/itex], then [itex]\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}\lequ 1[/itex].
In this case [itex]\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}= \frac{\frac{1}{2n+5}}{\frac{1}{2n+3}}= \frac{1}{2n+5}\frac{2n+3}{1}= \frac{2n+3}{2n+5}[/tex]
which is clearly less than 1.

Every number in that sequence is positive so it has 0 as a lower bound. By the "monotone convergence property" (which what this is all about), that sequence must converge to some number larger than or equal to 0. In fact, here it is obvious that the limit of the sequence is 0.

Hi dose any have any examples of non monotonic sequences ...

please help

a_n = sin(n)

or

a_n=(-1)^n

i have to find a bounded sequence that consists of negitive no.s that's non monotonic ...any ideas am i am tearing my hair out

thanks for the reply xx

julie16 said:
i have to find a bounded sequence that consists of negitive no.s that's non monotonic ...any ideas am i am tearing my hair out

thanks for the reply xx

-2 + (-1)^n always negative and keeps wavering between -3, and -1.

What is meant by monotonicity in a sequence?

Monotonicity in a sequence refers to the behavior of the terms in the sequence. A sequence is considered monotonic if its terms either consistently increase or decrease in value as the index increases. In other words, the terms in a monotonic sequence follow a pattern of either always getting larger or always getting smaller.

How do you determine if a sequence is monotonic?

To determine if a sequence is monotonic, you can examine the behavior of its terms. If the terms in the sequence consistently increase or decrease, then the sequence is monotonic. You can also graph the sequence and look for a consistent trend in the data points.

What is the difference between a monotonic sequence and a bounded sequence?

A monotonic sequence refers to the behavior of the terms in the sequence, while a bounded sequence refers to the range of values that the terms can take. A monotonic sequence can either be bounded or unbounded, depending on the values of its terms. A bounded sequence has a finite range of values, while an unbounded sequence has an infinite range of values.

How do you determine the upper and lower bounds of a sequence?

To determine the upper and lower bounds of a sequence, you can examine the behavior of its terms. The upper bound is the largest value that the terms in the sequence can take, while the lower bound is the smallest value that the terms can take. You can also graph the sequence and look for the highest and lowest data points.

Why is it important to determine monotonicity and bounds in sequences?

Determining monotonicity and bounds in sequences is important because it helps us understand the behavior of the terms in the sequence. It can also help us predict future terms in the sequence and make conclusions about the sequence as a whole. Additionally, knowing the bounds of a sequence can help us determine its convergence or divergence.