Solving Potential V with Schrodinger Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential for a bound state and the conditions for a solution within different regions. The potential is represented by different values depending on the location, with a positive value in the middle region and either an infinitely large value or a negative value in the other regions. The requirement for a bound state is that the energy must be less than the potential. The solution is found using the Schrodinger equation and involves using different values for k in each region, which results in either decaying or oscillating solutions. The concept of relative potentials is also mentioned.
KFC
Assume the potential in question is

[tex]
V = \left\{
\begin{matrix}
\infty, \qquad x<0 \\
-V_0, \qquad 0\leq x \leq a \\
0, \qquad x>a
\end{matrix}
\right.
[/tex]

where [tex]V_0[/tex] is positive.

if we need to find the bound state, we consider the energy is less than the potential. But the potential withn [0, a] is negative, is that mean the energy will be more negative (i.e. [tex]|E| > V_0[/tex]) ?

Generally, the Schrodinger equation will be written of the following form

[tex]
\frac{d^2\psi}{dx^2} + k^2\psi = 0
[/tex]

where

[tex]k = \sqrt{\frac{2m}{\hbar^2}(E-V)}[/tex]. The general solution is of the form

[tex]\psi = A\exp(ikx) + B\exp(-ikx)[/tex]

For x<0 or x>a region, the wavefunction must decay because the potential is larger than E, [tex]k=\sqrt{\frac{2m}{\hbar^2}(E-V)} = i \sqrt{\frac{2m}{\hbar^2}(V-E)} = i\kappa[/tex], the solutions in those region become

[tex]\psi = A\exp(\kappa x) + B\exp(-\kappa x)[/tex]

But within [0, a], if we want to find bound state, energy must be negative and [tex]|E|>V_0[/tex], so

[tex]k = \sqrt{\frac{2m}{\hbar^2}(-|E|-(-V_0))} = \sqrt{\frac{2m}{\hbar^2}(V_0-|E|)} [/tex]

but this also lead to k be imaginary number, that is, the solution within [0, a] is decaying again? But I think the solution in that region should be oscillating. Where am I get wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
first of all your "general solution" isn't a general solution. it's the solution in the well and you produce the correct solution for x>a by luck.

energy should be less than zero but greater than -v_0.

for x<0 the wavefunction doesn't exist. write out the entire time independent shrodinger eqn like this:

[tex]\frac{-h^2}{2m}\frac{d^2 \psi(x)}{dx^2}+V(x) \psi (x) = E \psi(x)[/tex]

for each region and don't skip steps and you should end up with

[tex]k=\pm\sqrt{\frac{2m}{\hbar^2}(-E+V_0)}=\pm\sqrt{-\frac{2m}{\hbar^2}(V_0 - E)}[/tex]

inside the halfwell which produces standing waves in the well. note E is negative by assumption.

Thanks for reply.

ice109 said:
first of all your "general solution" isn't a general solution. it's the solution in the well and you produce the correct solution for x>a by luck.
I don't understand why not. In that solution form, k is varied from region to region. In rightmost region, k is imaginary which decaying solution. So why can I say in all regions they have same form of solution but with different k?

energy should be less than zero but greater than -v_0.
This is my doubt. I wonder what's the requirement of bound state? Is E<V or |E|<|V| ?
If the potential V is positive, it will trap the particle has energy less than the potential, it is quite trivial. But how to understanding the situation when the potential is negative?

for x<0 the wavefunction doesn't exist. write out the entire time independent shrodinger eqn like this:

[tex]\frac{d^2 \psi(x)}{dx^2}+V(x) \psi (x) = E \psi(x)[/tex]

for each region and don't skip steps and you should end up with

[tex]k=\pm\sqrt{-\frac{2m}{\hbar^2}(E+V_0)}[/tex]

inside the halfwell which produces standing waves in the well.

KFC said:
Thanks for reply.

I don't understand why not. In that solution form, k is varied from region to region. In rightmost region, k is imaginary which decaying solution. So why can I say in all regions they have same form of solution but with different k?
but you have it wrong. in right most region k is real and therefore the solution decays, and in the well k is imaginary and hence oscillates. have you taken a differential equations class?
KFC said:
This is my doubt. I wonder what's the requirement of bound state? Is E<V or |E|<|V| ?
If the potential V is positive, it will trap the particle has energy less than the potential, it is quite trivial. But how to understanding the situation when the potential is negative?
the requirement for a bound state is |E|<|V|. you can understand the situation when the potential is negative by realizing that there's no such thing as absolute potentials, only relative potentials and therefore the whole situation is the same if we shift the potential up everywhere by [itex]V_0[/itex]. then for [itex]0<x<a ~~ V(x)=0[/itex], for [itex]x>a ~~ V(x) = V_0 [/itex] and the for [itex]x<0 ~~ V(x) = \infty [/itex]

Thanks for explanation :)

ice109 said:
but you have it wrong. in right most region k is real and therefore the solution decays, and in the well k is imaginary and hence oscillates. have you taken a differential equations class?

the requirement for a bound state is |E|<|V|. you can understand the situation when the potential is negative by realizing that there's no such thing as absolute potentials, only relative potentials and therefore the whole situation is the same if we shift the potential up everywhere by [itex]V_0[/itex]. then for [itex]0<x<a ~~ V(x)=0[/itex], for [itex]x>a ~~ V(x) = V_0 [/itex] and the for [itex]x<0 ~~ V(x) = \infty [/itex]

no prob. just out of curiosity what is your native language?

FAQ: Solving Potential V with Schrodinger Equation

1. What is the Schrodinger Equation?

The Schrodinger Equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the time evolution of a quantum system. It is named after Austrian physicist Erwin Schrodinger and is used to calculate the wave function of a particle in terms of its potential energy.

2. How is the Schrodinger Equation used to solve for potential energy?

The Schrodinger Equation is used to find the wave function of a particle, which contains all of the information about the particle's position, momentum, and potential energy. By solving the equation, we can determine the potential energy of the particle at any given time.

3. What is the significance of solving for potential energy using the Schrodinger Equation?

Solving for potential energy using the Schrodinger Equation allows us to understand the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It also allows us to make predictions about the behavior of quantum systems and has many practical applications, such as in the development of new technologies.

4. Are there any limitations to using the Schrodinger Equation to solve for potential energy?

Like any scientific model, the Schrodinger Equation has its limitations. It is based on the principles of quantum mechanics, which may not accurately describe the behavior of very small or very large systems. It also does not take into account the effects of relativity, which can be important for particles moving at high speeds.

5. How is the Schrodinger Equation related to the uncertainty principle?

The Schrodinger Equation and the uncertainty principle are both fundamental principles of quantum mechanics. The Schrodinger Equation describes the probability of finding a particle in a particular state, while the uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. The two principles work together to help us understand the behavior of quantum systems.

Back