Solving Schrodinger's eqn using ladder operators for potential V

In summary, the Schrodinger equation describes the evolution of a quantum system over time and can be written in terms of the Hamiltonian and ladder operators. The ladder operators can be used to find the ground state wave function and a general solution for any potential can be found by applying the lowering operator repeatedly. However, this approach is limited to potentials with certain symmetries and does not work for more general potentials.
Hamiltonian
The Schrodinger equation:
$$-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \frac{d^2\psi}{dx^2} + \hat V\psi = E\psi$$
$$\frac{1}{2m}[\hat p^2 + 2m\hat V ]\psi = E\psi$$
The ladder operators:
$$\hat a_\pm = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2m}}[\hat p \pm i\sqrt{2m\hat V}]$$

$$\hat a_\pm \hat a_\mp = \frac{1}{2m}[\hat p^2 + (2m\hat V) \mp i\sqrt{2m}[\hat p,\hat V ^{1/2}]]$$
The Hamiltonian:
$$\hat H = \frac{1}{2m}[\hat p^2 +2m\hat V]$$
The Hamiltonian in terms of the ladder operator:
$$\hat H = \hat a_\pm \hat a_\mp \pm {\frac{i}{\sqrt{2m}} [\hat p, \hat V^{1/2}]} $$
finding ##\hat H(\hat a_- \psi)##:
$$\hat H(\hat a_- \psi) = [\hat a_-\hat a_+ \frac{i}{\sqrt{2m}}[\hat p, \hat V^{1/2}]](\hat a_- \psi)$$
$$\hat H(\hat a_- \psi) = \hat a_-[E - \frac{2i}{\sqrt{2m}}[\hat p, \hat V^{1/2}]](\psi)$$

If we apply the lowering operator repeatedly we will eventually reach a state with energy less than zero, which do not exist.
$$\hat a_- \psi_0 = 0$$
$$[\hat p - i(2m\hat V)^{1/2}]\psi_0 = 0$$
$$[-i\hbar\frac{d}{dx} -i \sqrt{2mV(x)}]\psi_0 = 0$$
$$\psi_0(x) = -\int {\frac{\sqrt{2mV(x)}}{\hbar}dx}$$
$$\psi_n(x) = A_n(\hat a_+)^n \psi_0(x)$$
where ##\psi_0## is the ground state wave function solution.
Is this a correct way to give a general solution of the Schrodinger equation for any potential?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hamiltonian299792458 said:
Is this a correct way to give a general solution of the Schrodinger equation for any potential?
You can quickly check whether you have a general solution by trying it on the special case ##V=0##. Try this and you’ll likely see that the harmonic oscillator potential has a property required for this approach to work that is not found in more general potentials.

Likes gentzen, Demystifier and BvU
Hamiltonian299792458 said:
$$\psi_0(x) = -\int {\frac{\sqrt{2mV(x)}}{\hbar}dx}$$
$$\psi_n(x) = A_n(\hat a_+)^n \psi_0(x)$$
where ##\psi_0## is the ground state wave function solution.
I made a small error here, ##\psi_0## is supposed to be:
$$\psi_0(x) = e^{\int -\frac{\sqrt{2mV(x)}}{\hbar} dx}$$
Nugatory said:
You can quickly check whether you have a general solution by trying it on the special case ##V=0##. Try this and you’ll likely see that the harmonic oscillator potential has a property required for this approach to work that is not found in more general potentials.
Is there a way to account for the case where ##V(x) = 0##?
Leaving aside this case the final siltion should hold true for any arbitrary potential ##V(x)##?

The "lowering operators" do not really lower energy. Instead, they multiply ##\psi(x)## by a function that depends on ##x## (except in the cases ##V=0## and ##V\propto x^2##), so it cannot be interpreted as a number times ##\psi(x)## .

This technique is pretty much restricted to the harmonic oscillator and the angular-momentum eigenvalue problems, and the latter is even also reducible to the symmetric harmonic-oscillator problem in 2 dimensions. So one can expect that most of the problems, where this "factorization of the Hamiltonian" approach works, is due to symmetries reducing to the harmonic oscillators in ##d## dimensions and thus related to the Lie algebras of the SU(d) groups. Schrödinger has written (at least) two papers about this too:

https://www.jstor.org/stable/20490744
https://www.jstor.org/stable/20490756

Likes BvU and Hamiltonian

1. What is Schrodinger's equation?

Schrodinger's equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the time evolution of a quantum system. It is used to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a certain state at a given time.

2. What are ladder operators?

Ladder operators are mathematical operators used in quantum mechanics to describe the energy levels of a quantum system. They are used to raise or lower the energy of a system by discrete amounts.

3. How do ladder operators solve Schrodinger's equation?

Ladder operators can be used to simplify and solve Schrodinger's equation for certain potential energy functions. By applying the ladder operators to the wave function, the equation can be reduced to a simpler form, making it easier to solve.

4. What is the significance of using ladder operators for potential energy?

Using ladder operators for potential energy allows for a more efficient and elegant solution to Schrodinger's equation. It also provides insight into the energy levels and transitions of a quantum system.

5. Can ladder operators be used for any potential energy function?

No, ladder operators can only be used for potential energy functions that are harmonic, meaning they follow a specific mathematical form. Other potential energy functions may require different mathematical techniques to solve Schrodinger's equation.