Transformer concepts (magnetic induction)

In summary, the transformer equation (Vp/Vs = Np/Ns) is only correct if there is perfect flux linkage and the resistance of both primary and secondary coils is small. The notes mention that opening the circuit of the secondary coil can meet this requirement for resistance. However, this does not affect the current in the primary coil and it can still produce a magnetic field. This is because if the secondary current increases, it creates a flux that is opposite to the flux created by the primary current, resulting in a momentary reduction in the resultant flux. This causes the primary coil to draw more current from the source to maintain the same voltage across it. This increased current from the source is then transformed to the secondary coil. The equation
Terocamo

Homework Statement

The transfromer equation is given by[tex]\frac{Vp}{Vs}[/tex]=[tex]\frac{Np}{Ns}[/tex] for an ideal transformer.
This equation is correct only if there are perfect flux linkage, the resistance of both primary and secondary coil is small and carries negligible current.
The notes mention here if the secondary coil is in open-circuit, the latter requirement about resistance is well met.

However I don't understand how opening the circuit of secondary coil will affect the current in the primary coil. Also if there is no current in the secondary coil, can it produce magnetic field?

Physics news on Phys.org
Terocamo said:

Homework Statement

The transfromer equation is given by[tex]\frac{Vp}{Vs}[/tex]=[tex]\frac{Np}{Ns}[/tex] for an ideal transformer.
This equation is correct only if there are perfect flux linkage, the resistance of both primary and secondary coil is small and carries negligible current.
The notes mention here if the secondary coil is in open-circuit, the latter requirement about resistance is well met.

However I don't understand how opening the circuit of secondary coil will affect the current in the primary coil. Also if there is no current in the secondary coil, can it produce magnetic field?

if the secondary coil is in open-circuit, the resistance of primary winding still affects the flow of current and Ip will not be 90 deg with Vp.

if secondary circuit is opened, current still flows in primary and it will produce magnetic field which is responsible for Vs

n.karthick said:
if the secondary coil is in open-circuit, the resistance of primary winding still affects the flow of current and Ip will not be 90 deg with Vp.

if secondary circuit is opened, current still flows in primary and it will produce magnetic field which is responsible for Vs

Can you explain in more detail about how the secondary coil affect the current and power of the primary coil?

If secondary current flows (or increases) in a transformer, it creates (more) flux which is opposite to flux created by primary current. Hence the resultant flux is reduced momentarily. But the primary coil immediately draws more current from source to produce same amount of flux so that Vp (voltage across primary) is unaltered. Since current from source is increased, now source is supplying power to the transformer which is in turn transformed to secondary.

n.karthick said:
If secondary current flows (or increases) in a transformer, it creates (more) flux which is opposite to flux created by primary current. Hence the resultant flux is reduced momentarily. But the primary coil immediately draws more current from source to produce same amount of flux so that Vp (voltage across primary) is unaltered. Since current from source is increased, now source is supplying power to the transformer which is in turn transformed to secondary.

Thz, I think I finally understand now, it is very helpful.

I have another problem. Why is the equation P=V^2/R not used to calculate the power loss in high voltage transmission cables? And why is I^2R okay to use?

Terocamo said:
I have another problem. Why is the equation P=V^2/R not used to calculate the power loss in high voltage transmission cables? And why is I^2R okay to use?

You can use both but in P=V^2/R, V is the voltage drop in transmission cable and not the transmission voltage. I prefer I^2R since if I measure the current I can find the loss.

What is a transformer?

A transformer is an electrical device that transfers energy from one circuit to another through the principle of magnetic induction. It consists of two or more coils of wire, known as the primary and secondary winding, that are wrapped around a common iron core.

How does a transformer work?

A transformer works by creating a changing magnetic field in the primary winding, which induces a voltage in the secondary winding through electromagnetic induction. This voltage is then used to power devices connected to the secondary winding.

What is the difference between a step-up transformer and a step-down transformer?

A step-up transformer increases the voltage from the primary winding to the secondary winding, while a step-down transformer decreases the voltage. This is achieved by varying the number of turns in each winding.

What is the purpose of the iron core in a transformer?

The iron core in a transformer is used to increase the efficiency of energy transfer through the process of magnetic flux. It also helps to reduce energy losses due to eddy currents and hysteresis.

What are the applications of transformers?

Transformers are used in various applications, such as power distribution, electrical appliances, and electronic devices. They are also essential in the transmission of electricity over long distances and in voltage conversion for different devices.