Algebra/trigonometry based physics

• Thread starter miglo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the speaker is taking an algebra/trigonometry based physics course and initially thought it would not be difficult. However, they are struggling with the material and find that the packets provided by the professor are not helpful. The class does not use a textbook, but the professor recommends one that is expensive. The speaker is looking for free online physics books or websites to use as a reference and study instead of the packets. They also mention that they have found the packets to be helpful in the past for tests.
miglo
so I am taking a algebra/trigonometry based physics course
at first i thought this class wouldn't be too difficult but i underestimated it
anyways the class doesn't use a textbook, althought they do recommend physics 4th edition by james s walker, but the book costs 150 at my school and i don't have the money for that. we use these packets or modules the professor makes us buy from the bookstore at my school but i feel like these packets aren't helping me in understanding the physics we've covered so far
so far we've only gone through 1 dimensional and 2 dimensional kinematics/motion, and we just started forces
does anyone know any only free online physics books i can download or useful websites
i really just want something to use as a reference and study, instead of the packets

Physics news on Phys.org
I would get anything the professor recommends. In my experience, these packets usually help a lot for tests. As for free Alg based Physics texts, try this:

http://www.lightandmatter.com/lm/

this is great! thanks!

1. What is the importance of algebra and trigonometry in physics?

Algebra and trigonometry are essential mathematical tools used in physics to describe and analyze complex physical phenomena. They provide a systematic and precise way to represent and manipulate equations, making it easier to understand and solve problems in physics.

2. How are algebra and trigonometry used in kinematics?

In kinematics, algebra and trigonometry are used to describe the motion of objects in terms of position, velocity, and acceleration. These mathematical concepts are used to solve equations of motion and calculate quantities such as displacement, speed, and acceleration.

3. Can you give an example of how algebra and trigonometry are used in optics?

In optics, algebra and trigonometry are used to understand the behavior of light rays as they pass through different mediums. For example, Snell's law, which describes the refraction of light, uses trigonometric functions to calculate the angle of refraction.

4. How does algebra and trigonometry relate to forces and energy in physics?

In physics, forces and energy are described using algebraic equations and trigonometric functions. For instance, Newton's second law, which relates force, mass, and acceleration, is represented by the equation F=ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration.

5. Is it possible to study physics without a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry?

While it is possible to study some basic concepts in physics without a strong background in algebra and trigonometry, a thorough understanding of these mathematical concepts is necessary to fully comprehend and solve complex problems in physics. It is recommended to have a solid understanding of algebra and trigonometry before delving into more advanced physics topics.