Discover the Benefits of OpenStax College Physics for Your Algebra-Based Class

In summary, the conversation revolves around using the OpenStax College Physics text for an algebra-based college physics class. The person is seeking a general discussion about the book and how it compares to other popular textbooks such as Serway or Knight. They are also curious about any missing information and how students react to the book. The person mentions that the authors and other community colleges have used the text and it is continuously updated. They also point out that the book is cheap and has been adopted by top schools for free.
Scott Hill
I'm thinking of using the OpenStax College Physics text for my algebra-based college physics class this fall. The few mentions I've seen here of the book are lukewarm, though, but I wanted to ask for a general discussion. How does the book compare to something like Serway or Knight? What's missing? How do the students react to it? If you've taught from the book, do you have any advice for using it?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Likes TSny

1. What is OpenStax College Physics?

OpenStax College Physics is a free, open-source textbook that covers the fundamentals of algebra-based physics. It was created by a team of educators and is designed to be accessible and affordable for students.

2. How can OpenStax College Physics benefit my algebra-based class?

OpenStax College Physics provides a comprehensive and interactive resource for teaching algebra-based physics. It includes a variety of multimedia elements, such as videos and simulations, to engage students and enhance their understanding of the material. Additionally, the open-source format allows for customization and adaptation to fit the specific needs of your class.

3. Is OpenStax College Physics suitable for all levels of students?

Yes, OpenStax College Physics is designed to be accessible for students at all levels. It covers the basic concepts of algebra-based physics and includes practice problems and assessments to help students grasp the material. It can also be used as a supplement to other physics textbooks.

4. How can I access OpenStax College Physics?

OpenStax College Physics is available for free online and can be accessed through the OpenStax website. It can also be downloaded as a PDF or e-book for offline use. Additionally, physical copies of the textbook can be purchased at a low cost.

5. Is OpenStax College Physics peer-reviewed?

Yes, OpenStax College Physics undergoes a rigorous peer-review process to ensure its accuracy and quality. It is also regularly updated to incorporate the latest advancements in the field of physics.