Cell Phones & Cancer: Are We at Risk?

In summary: Secondly, even if these devices were transmitting radiation at a close range, the power emitted would be very low and therefore would be unlikely to cause any harm.
physmurf
I just wanted to start this thread about the risks of using cell phones. Today there was a new story in the BBC http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4432755.stm
This can only make me laugh since the wavelength of the radiation can in no way affect the cells in the brain. What was this Swedish team thinking?

Computer science news on Phys.org
physmurf said:
the wavelength of the radiation can in no way affect the cells in the brain.

You'll find (as discussed in a recent thread) that the jury is still out there on this one; it hasn't been concluded that the radiation is safe yet.

I bought this up once and was immediately attacked and challenged to justify the case, which isn't my place, since I can't. But I know for a fact that work was done in the early to mid 80s to at least rule out cellular damage caused by heating due to the RF used in MRI. This is also non-ionizing radiation. I know this for a fact since I worked on the MRI unit there, and I knew the physicist at Cedars Sinai Med Centr [in LA] who was in charge of this effort. So I know that at that point the question was open. It was thought to be safe, but apparently there were reasons to believe that some of the RF energy could transfer to the cells. Also, keep in mind that these are world class scientists. AFAIK, there was never any evidence of significant heating, but, in spite of various models that suggest otherwise, I don't think the energy transfer was zero either.

Well basically since anything and everything causes cancer now-a-days cell phones must too. I am going to go roll myself up in aluminum foil now.

Im going to go live in a cave to avoid the 40,000,000 things that cause cancer.

I once heard a guy talking about this on Coast to Coast. If I remember correctly he said that it was due to micro waves not just regular RF. Ofcourse he could have just been a total nut job.

----edit----

Ivan said:
I know for a fact that work was done in the early to mid 80s to at least rule out cellular damage caused by heating due to the RF used in MRI.
That man I heard in the interview said that the previous study results no longer apply supposedly because changes in cell technology have resulted in changes in the energy it gives off.

Last edited:
What does he mean 'regular RF'. Microwaves are 'regular' RF... what is irregular RF defined as lol.

Lol... well I meant what used to be the common RF that we were exposed to regularly from radio and what not. From what he said the use of micro waves on such a broad scale is relatively recent. Again I have no idea just how reliable his information was but he made it sound like it just wasn't a common thing until the advances of digital wireless communication.

Well... cordless phones have been running at the 2.4ghz range for a while now and 900mhz has been around for a long time so it can't be much worse then what we're use too... but then again who knows what the intensity is compared to cell phones.

I sit right next to a wireless router 2.4ghz, a 2.4ghz bluetooth transceiver and 2 bluetoothe devices, and a 900mhz cordless phone nearby and my 3 foot wide brain hasnt experienced any pain or discomfort :P

TheStatutoryApe said:
changes in cell technology have resulted in changes in the energy it gives off.

That statement doesn't make sense. But I have no idea who he was or what he was talking about. I was just throwing in what I knew since it does seem potentially related to the cell phone issue; or maybe not. :tongue:

TheStatutoryApe said:
From what he said the use of micro waves on such a broad scale is relatively recent. Again I have no idea just how reliable his information was but he made it sound like it just wasn't a common thing until the advances of digital wireless communication.

Microwaves are indeed used in mobile phone communications, although you'll be pleased to know that they're not quite as powerful as those used to cook food.

Pengwuino said:
Well... cordless phones have been running at the 2.4ghz range for a while now and 900mhz has been around for a long time so it can't be much worse then what we're use too... but then again who knows what the intensity is compared to cell phones.

I sit right next to a wireless router 2.4ghz, a 2.4ghz bluetooth transceiver and 2 bluetoothe devices, and a 900mhz cordless phone nearby and my 3 foot wide brain hasnt experienced any pain or discomfort :P

Firstly, (with the exception of the cordless phone), you're not holding these devices an inch away from your brain. Remember the inverse square law!

Secondly, think of the differences in range between a mobile and cordless phone; then you'll have some idea of the power differences involved.

Thirdly, I doubt you've been subject to this radiation for the past 30 years. It's very much the long term effects of microwave radiation which are in question.

I seem to recall that some phones can now transmit up to 3 watts, although this is only when you have 'low signal'.

Non ionising radiation would not cause cancer.

Scientific evidences thus far did not show any significant increase in risk.

Cancer is provoked by a change in the cell DNA. For this change to take place there must be chemical reactions in the bases that constitute the DNA. Those chemical reactions may be the result of contact with chemical products, ionizing radiation, virus and other agents. Microwaves are not ionizing radiation, they merely heat the adjacent tissue.
Can the heating cause a chemical reaction in the DNA? Possible, but not probable.
In the other way, UV radiation from the Sun has ionizing properties and is known to cause skin cancer. People that are afraid of getting cancer from radiation should never get sunlight and should not be in this forum, since their monitor emits UV too.

1. What is the link between cell phones and cancer?

Studies have shown conflicting results on the link between cell phones and cancer. Some studies have suggested a potential association, while others have found no evidence of a link. However, the overall consensus among researchers is that there is currently no definitive proof that cell phones cause cancer.

2. Can cell phone radiation cause cancer?

The type of radiation emitted by cell phones is known as radiofrequency (RF) radiation, which is a type of non-ionizing radiation. This means that it does not have enough energy to damage DNA and cause cancer. However, some studies have suggested that long-term exposure to RF radiation may have some biological effects, but more research is needed to determine if these effects are harmful.

3. Are certain groups of people more at risk for cancer from using cell phones?

Some studies have suggested that certain groups of people may have a higher risk of developing cancer from cell phone use, such as children and adolescents, as well as those with a family history of cancer. However, the evidence is still inconclusive and more research is needed to determine any potential risks for these groups.

4. What precautions can we take to reduce any potential risks?

To reduce potential risks, it is recommended to use a hands-free device, such as a speaker or headset, when talking on the phone. It is also advisable to limit the amount of time spent on the phone and to avoid keeping it close to the body, especially during sleep. Additionally, using the phone in areas with good reception can also help to reduce exposure to radiation.

5. Is it safe for pregnant women to use cell phones?

Although there is currently no clear evidence that cell phone use is harmful during pregnancy, some studies have suggested a potential link between prenatal exposure to RF radiation and behavioral problems in children. As a precaution, it is recommended for pregnant women to limit their exposure to cell phone radiation and to keep the phone away from their abdomen.