How Do I Plot a Bode Plot for a Given Transfer Function?

In summary, the conversation is about plotting a bode plot for a transfer function with a numerator of 100 and a denominator of s^2 + 10s + 100. The person discussing the problem calculates the overshoot at 1/2 and the magnitude at 1. They also mention that there are no zeros in the transfer function and ask for help in finding the poles. They are then reminded to post homework and coursework questions in the appropriate forums.
barneygumble742
hi,

how can i plot the bode plot for this transfer function:

----------------
s^2 + 10s + 100

i have
2*ksi*w=10
w=sqrt(100)=10
thus, ksi=1/2
-ksi*w=-10/2=-5

so the overshoot will be at ksi which is at 1/2 and my magnitude is 1.

i don't see how i can find my poles and zeros. can anyone help me?

thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Just factor the denominator to get your poles. There are no zeros in your transfer function, because s does not occur in the numerator. When you have no zeros, is the transfer function LPF, BPF or HPF?

BTW, homework and coursework questions should be posted in the appropriate Homework Help forum area of the PF. I'll let this stay here for the moment, but please take care to post your homework and coursework questions in the HH forums in the future.

Related to How Do I Plot a Bode Plot for a Given Transfer Function?

1. What is a Bode plot and how is it used?

A Bode plot is a graphical representation of the frequency response of a system. It consists of two plots: a magnitude plot and a phase plot, which show the amplitude and phase shift of the system's output in response to different frequencies. Bode plots are commonly used in control systems engineering to analyze the stability and performance of a system.

2. How do I plot a Bode plot?

To plot a Bode plot, you will first need to obtain the transfer function of the system you are analyzing. This can be done through mathematical modeling or experimental testing. Once you have the transfer function, you can use software such as MATLAB or Python to plot the Bode plot. Alternatively, you can use a Bode plotter, which is a specialized tool for plotting Bode plots.

3. What information can I gather from a Bode plot?

A Bode plot provides valuable information about a system's frequency response, such as its gain, phase shift, and cutoff frequencies. From a Bode plot, you can determine the stability of a system, its resonance frequency, and its bandwidth. Additionally, you can use Bode plots to design controllers and filters for a system.

4. How do I interpret a Bode plot?

The magnitude plot of a Bode plot indicates the system's gain at different frequencies. A higher magnitude indicates a higher gain, while a lower magnitude indicates a lower gain. The phase plot shows the phase shift of the system's output in response to different frequencies. A positive phase shift indicates a lead or lag in the output, while a negative phase shift indicates a phase lead or lag. Additionally, the shape of the Bode plot can provide insights into the stability and performance of the system.

5. What are some common applications of Bode plots?

Bode plots have a wide range of applications in various fields such as control systems, electronics, and signal processing. In control systems engineering, Bode plots are used to design controllers, analyze stability, and tune systems. In electronics, Bode plots are used to analyze the frequency response of circuits and filters. In signal processing, Bode plots are used to analyze and design systems for filtering, equalization, and modulation.