Software Upgrade: Prepare for Changes & Bugs

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, the forum may be down for a few hours early next week, new features and lots of bugs fixed, and the blogs may not be compatible.
We're planning on doing a major software upgrade early next week. The forum could be down for a few hours, not sure what day yet. You won't notice any design changes, but there should be some new features and lots of bugs fixed. On a sad note the chess feature may no longer be compatible so we may have to axe it. Also the blogs may not be compatible. There is an official blog system that we can move to that will import all entries, but I have read there are some problems with it, so no promises. If you have a blog please backup your entries by going to your blog and clicking the "blog tools" dropdown and selecting "download entries". Also the solved threads feature will change to a built in thread prefix feature. Overall this is a big upgrade and prepare for some things to be broken at first. Mainly we have a TON of template edits to do and that just takes time and I may miss some. I'll have more when I am sure what day this will happen.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wow! Well change is exciting! So then a lot of the work done will be like the behind the scenes stuff, so it may not actually be that noticeable for your day to day user?

Reminder Monday/Tuesday could be upgrade days.

I'll have to find something to do instead of refreshing loads.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Reminder Monday/Tuesday could be upgrade days.

Oh, good, less temptation to be playing here rather than preparing my lecture for Thursday. :biggrin:

Sounds like I have to study for my exams!

Lots left to do, but my back hurts and my puppy is flipping out and needs a walk! :smile:

Greg Bernhardt said:
Lots left to do, but my back hurts and my puppy is flipping out and needs a walk! :smile:
Go easy on yourself!

Seems to be working.

Yes it looks good. What benefits will it have apart from those you listed above?

Greg Bernhardt said:

Your back hurts? Are you physically moving all the files? :biggrin:

Let us know when you've finished setting up all the things you know need setting up so we'll know when to start pointing out remaining glitches (I've noticed a few things already, but they may go away on their own as you finish tweaking things).

Moonbear said:
Your back hurts? Are you physically moving all the files? :biggrin:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I've seen this now. What can I do NOW to save my blog?

The blogs are definitely popular. I have been tracking the "hits". Here is a sample.

Title ...views 02-Jun 03-Jun 04-Jun 05-Jun 06-Jun 07-Jun 08-Jun
Edgardo's Journal ... 328115 333971 334040 340685 341010 341260 341341
nightowl03d's Blog ... 148459 148510 148567 148583 148650 148711 148747
Leah's Blog ..... 147494 147706 147800 147846 147969 148122 148158
jal's Journal .... 127851 129138 134798 143125 143384 143619 143841

edit layout got f****up

The new picture viewer for attached pictures is a real step up. It's a nice upgrade.

If I look at someone's profile, there's a permanent record of that … at least until six more people do so … I think that's creepy. :yuck:

Everything seems to be working smoothly. I hope GB's back is better.

tiny-tim said:
If I look at someone's profile, there's a permanent record of that … at least until six more people do so … I think that's creepy. :yuck:

What, you don't want anyone to know you're stalking them? :biggrin: :rofl:

Moonbear said:
What, you don't want anyone to know you're stalking them? :biggrin: :rofl:

Yes!

I often check on people's profiles, for one reason or another … I'd prefer they didn't know … and they'd probably prefer they didn't know! :smile:

(A record of visits to a blog seems reasonable … but why to the profile?)

I like to know who's nosing around :wink:. muahaha

If you appear invisible, it probably wouldn't show up on people's profiles...

I wonder if you are "invisible" if it logs the visit?

Tiny-tim, I will visit your profile, let me know if I show up on the list.

Evo said:
I wonder if you are "invisible" if it logs the visit?

Tiny-tim, I will visit your profile, let me know if I show up on the list.
You show up on mine, but I don't know if that's just because I have the superpowers to see invisible people. :uhh:

Hi Evo! :smile:

As at one minute ago, you did not show up (cristo and Greg did, by the way … should I be worried … I think I'd rather not know :rolleyes:)

So … how did you acquire your invisibility super-power? :bugeye:

(btw, we need more smilies)

You can be invisible too tiny-tim, have a look round your user CP.

tiny-tim said:
As at one minute ago, you did not show up (cristo and Greg did, by the way … should I be worried … I think I'd rather not know :rolleyes:)

Yup, you should! No, I'm only joking.. I just did it because you said it creeped you out :biggrin:

You can be invisible by going to my PF and selecting "edit options" then checking the "appear invisible" box. Be warned, however, that you won't be invisible to us green folk :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hi Evo! :smile:

So … how did you acquire your invisibility super-power? :bugeye:

(btw, we need more smilies)
Greg and cristo aren't invisible, so there you go. Since you are a contributor, you have an invisibility cloak.

And we DO need more smilies!

Go to "mypf" at the top right of the page - edit options - select "invisible mode" at the top.

Edit: Dang, cristo is quick!

Last edited:
tiny-tim said:

So far Greg, Cristo and me checked your profile, not counting those invisible ones. But there were 8 views, so 5 more people were there.

And when I was looking at it, you were reading about Problem Involving Momentum & Collision.

creepy it is :uhh:

Last edited:
When are the solved tags coming back Greg and how will they work? I know you said they'd be different.

Kurdt said:
When are the solved tags coming back Greg and how will they work? I know you said they'd be different.
Kurdt, for the mentors, it's in thread tools - edit thread. Do you have anything like that?

Evo said:
Kurdt, for the mentors, it's in thread tools - edit thread. Do you have anything like that?

Nope. Just guess its a user group issue again then?

Evo said:
Go to "mypf" at the top right of the page - edit options - select "invisible mode" at the top.

Edit: Dang, cristo is quick!

ah … but if I don my invisibility cloak to visit someone's profile, and then doff it again, do I become retrospectively visible? :rolleyes:

Could you render yourself visible (you are decent, aren't you? :blushing:), without revisiting my profile, and tell me, and then I'll revisit my profile and see if you show up! :smile:

tiny-tim said:
ah … but if I don my invisibility cloak to visit someone's profile, and then doff it again, do I become retrospectively visible? :rolleyes:

Could you render yourself visible (you are decent, aren't you? :blushing:), without revisiting my profile, and tell me, and then I'll revisit my profile and see if you show up! :smile:
The things I do for people. :smile:

I am now visible.

Evo said:
The things I do for people. :smile:

I am now visible.

put on some sun block! it's been years since you've seen the light! :eek: