What is a good textbook for Intermediate E&M with challenging problems?

In summary, the individual is looking for a challenging textbook with difficult problems for Intermediate E&M. They are not satisfied with the problems in their current textbook and are specifically looking for problems that require application of basic concepts to difficult applications. Suggestions for other textbooks include Jackson, Vanderlinde, and Greiner, as well as a corresponding textbook without exercises.
nsatya
Does anyone know of a good textbook with challenging problems for Intermediate E&M? The one we are using in my class is "Introduction to Electrodynamics" 3rd ed. by Griffiths. I looked at the problems in the book, and they don't seem to be hard enough. I'm not really looking for problems that are more math-intensive, but problems for which the basic concept needs to be applied to a difficult application. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Physics news on Phys.org
You looked at the problems, and they don't seem to be hard enough. But have you actually tried them? I think there certainly are a few exercises in there which require pretty good thinking.

But of course, you can always look at other textbooks (at the same or higher level), like Jackson, Vanderlinde, Greiner. You may also want to take a look at this (the corresponding textbook - without exercises - is also good).

I can understand your desire for a textbook with more challenging problems for Intermediate E&M. I have also used "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by Griffiths in my own studies and agree that while it is a comprehensive and well-written textbook, some of the problems may not be as challenging as you would like.

One suggestion I have is "Classical Electrodynamics" 3rd ed. by Jackson. This textbook is known for its more difficult and advanced problems that require a deeper understanding of the concepts and their applications. However, I do want to caution that this textbook may be more math-intensive, as it is geared towards upper-level undergraduate and graduate students.

Another option is "Electricity and Magnetism" by Purcell. This textbook is often used in introductory E&M courses, but it also has a chapter on intermediate topics with challenging problems that require critical thinking and application of concepts to real-world situations.

Ultimately, I recommend consulting with your professor or academic advisor for their recommendations on textbooks with more challenging problems for Intermediate E&M. They may have additional suggestions or resources that align with your specific learning goals and level of understanding. Best of luck in your studies!

1. What is the purpose of a textbook for intermediate E&M?

A textbook for intermediate E&M is designed to provide a comprehensive understanding of the principles and concepts of electromagnetism at an intermediate level. It serves as a guide for students to build on their basic knowledge and develop a deeper understanding of the subject.

2. What topics are typically covered in a textbook for intermediate E&M?

The topics covered in a textbook for intermediate E&M may vary, but typically include electrostatics, magnetostatics, electromagnetic induction, and electromagnetic waves. Other topics such as Maxwell's equations, energy and potential, and electric and magnetic fields in materials may also be covered.

3. How is a textbook for intermediate E&M different from a basic E&M textbook?

A textbook for intermediate E&M covers more advanced concepts and applications compared to a basic E&M textbook. It assumes a basic understanding of the subject and delves deeper into the mathematical and theoretical aspects of electromagnetism.

4. What level of mathematics is required to understand a textbook for intermediate E&M?

A solid understanding of calculus and vector calculus is essential for comprehending the material in a textbook for intermediate E&M. Students should also have a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry.

5. Are there any resources or supplemental materials that accompany a textbook for intermediate E&M?

Many textbooks for intermediate E&M come with accompanying resources such as online study guides, practice problems, and interactive simulations. Some may also include access to online lectures or tutorials to aid in understanding the material.