Finding potential of two points in a constant electric field

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of potential and work done in an electric field with a constant magnitude of 80 V/m, directed parallel to the +X axis. The potential at point 1 is given as 1100 V and the question is to find the potential at point 2. The solution involves calculating the distance between the two points, using the formula E = change in V / change in X, and considering the work done when moving along the x-axis and y-axis. The answer is found to be 823.68 V and the discussion also addresses the question of whether the electric field value changes and how to calculate the change in electric field.
skibum143

Homework Statement

The figure below shows two points in an E-field: Point 1: (3,4) and Point 2: (12,9) both in m. The electric field is constant, with a magnitude of 80 V/m, and is directed parallel to the +X axis. The potential at point 1 is 1100 V. What is the potential at point 2?

Homework Equations

E = change in V / change in X
A^2 + B^2 = C^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I got that the distance (tangent) between points 1 and 2 is 10.296 m. If I plug that into the equation to solve for V, I get 80=(V2 - 1100) / 10.296, or V2 = 823.68. Since Point 2 is further away from the origin of the E-field, the potential should be lower, so 1100 - 823.68 = 276.32. This is wrong. I tried adding them to see if that was right, (1923.68) but that was wrong too.

My main question is does the E-field value change? It says it is constant, so I don't know why it would. Thanks for the help!

The second part of the question is to calculate the work required to move a negative charge of Q = -608 microC from point 1 to point 2, which I would use the formula: the change in PE = the change in V times the charge (q). Is this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi skibum143! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

Potential = potential energy per charge …

potential energy = work done …

what is the work done if you go a distance 9 parallel to the x-axis?

what is the work done if you go a distance 5 parallel to the y-axis? :wink:

Hi tiny-tim. Thanks so much for the response!
The work going a distance 5 parallel to the y-axis is zero, because it's on the same equipotential line.
So should I only be using 9 as my "r" instead of the tangent of 10.296?

sorry, i meant use 9 as my change in x...

I guess my other main question is, if they say the electric field is constant, at 80 V/m, is that the value at every point in the electric field? If not, how do you calculate the change in the electric field?

AH! I got it! Thank you so much! :)

:biggrin: Woohoo! :biggrin:

But, slow down in future! :smile:

you don't usually get a quick response here, so you may as well take your time! :wink:

Related to Finding potential of two points in a constant electric field

1. What is the formula for finding the potential of two points in a constant electric field?

The formula for finding the potential of two points in a constant electric field is V = Ed, where V is the potential difference between the two points, E is the electric field strength, and d is the distance between the two points.

2. How is the electric field strength related to the potential difference?

The electric field strength is directly proportional to the potential difference. This means that as the electric field strength increases, so does the potential difference between two points in a constant electric field.

3. Can the potential difference between two points in a constant electric field be negative?

Yes, the potential difference between two points in a constant electric field can be negative. This occurs when the two points have opposite charges and the electric field is directed from the positive to the negative charge.

4. How do you calculate the distance between two points in a constant electric field?

The distance between two points in a constant electric field can be calculated using the formula d = V/E, where d is the distance, V is the potential difference, and E is the electric field strength.

5. Is the potential of two points in a constant electric field affected by the medium between the points?

Yes, the potential of two points in a constant electric field can be affected by the medium between the points. This is because the electric field strength can be influenced by the properties of the medium, such as its dielectric constant.