Electrostatics help please -- Electric field, potential

In summary: Consider in what direction each field acts. Do they oppose each other or reinforce?For part b, what is the formula for potential?What answers do you get?In summary, the electric field at the halfway point is 14400 volts and the electric potential at the halfway point is 10800 volts.
RamirezA
New poster has been reminded to show their work on schoolwork problems
Homework Statement
Calculate the electric field (halfway point) and value of the electric potential at the halfway point
Relevant Equations
E=kQ1/r1^2
E=kQ2/r2^2
E=E1+E2
Hello, any answers appreciated:
'Two spheres are 5 m apart. Sphere 1 has a charge of -20 mC and sphere two has a charge of -50 mC. (a) Find the strength of the electric field at the sphere's halfway point. (b) Find the electric potential at the halfway point

Physics news on Phys.org
RamirezA said:
Homework Statement:: Calculate the electric field (halfway point) and value of the electric potential at the halfway point
Relevant Equations:: E=kQ1/r1^2
E=kQ2/r2^2
E=E1+E2

Hello, any answers appreciated:
'Two spheres are 5 m apart. Sphere 1 has a charge of -20 mC and sphere two has a charge of -50 mC. (a) Find the strength of the electric field at the sphere's halfway point. (b) Find the electric potential at the halfway point
Urgent or not, forum rules require you to post an attempt.

haruspex said:
Urgent or not, forum rules require you to post an attempt.
E1= (9x10^9)(10x10^-6)/(5)^2 (dont know where/if too include the negative values in this)
= 3600
E2= (9x10^9)(30x10^-6)/(5)^2
=10800
=14400

RamirezA said:
E1= (9x10^9)(10x10^-6)/(5)^2 (dont know where/if too include the negative values in this)
= 3600
E2= (9x10^9)(30x10^-6)/(5)^2
=10800
=14400
I don't claim to be any expert but I will try to give you a few hints.

First try using latex for your formulas/equations it is quite difficult to read without it,and a lot of people won't even bother reading through your question if you write it out like that.

Second the formula for the electric field is this;

$$ E = \frac{Q}{4\pi \epsilon0 r^2} $$ I am guessing the k in your formula is just the pi and epsilon put in one constant;

Now I am going to assume that you know what all of these are; that Q is your charge pi the value of pi (3.14) etc..

Now the distance between your spheers is 5 m, if you are asked to calculate the strength of the E field at the halfwaypoint,what is your distance then?

Also the - infront of your spheers mean that they are negative charged.

What I would do if I were you (for part a) is calculate E1 and E2 at the halfwaypoint and than try to get the ##E_{total} ##.

For all the homework helpers,if I am leading Ramirez astray,let him (and me) know,I am just going of the litle knowledge I have.

arhzz said:
I don't claim to be any expert but I will try to give you a few hints.

First try using latex for your formulas/equations it is quite difficult to read without it,and a lot of people won't even bother reading through your question if you write it out like that.

Second the formula for the electric field is this;

$$ E = \frac{Q}{4\pi \epsilon0 r^2} $$ I am guessing the k in your formula is just the pi and epsilon put in one constant;

Now I am going to assume that you know what all of these are; that Q is your charge pi the value of pi (3.14) etc..

Now the distance between your spheers is 5 m, if you are asked to calculate the strength of the E field at the halfwaypoint,what is your distance then?

Also the - infront of your spheers mean that they are negative charged.

What I would do if I were you (for part a) is calculate E1 and E2 at the halfwaypoint and than try to get the ##E_{total} ##.

For all the homework helpers,if I am leading Ramirez astray,let him (and me) know,I am just going of the litle knowledge I have.
Thanks man, that helps

RamirezA said:
Thanks man, that helps
Consider in what direction each field acts. Do they oppose each other or reinforce?
For part b, what is the formula for potential?
What answers do you get?

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the influence that a charged object has on other charged objects in its vicinity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is an electric field created?

An electric field is created by the presence of a charged object. The strength of the electric field depends on the magnitude of the charge and the distance from the charged object.

3. What is the relationship between electric field and potential?

The electric field and potential are closely related. The electric field is the gradient of the potential, meaning it is the rate of change of potential with respect to distance. In other words, the electric field points in the direction of decreasing potential.

4. How is electric potential different from electric potential energy?

Electric potential is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in an electric field. Electric potential energy, on the other hand, is the potential energy of a charged object in an electric field. It is the work required to move a charged object from one point to another in an electric field.

5. How can I calculate the electric field and potential at a point?

The electric field and potential at a point can be calculated using Coulomb's law and the equation for electric potential, respectively. The electric field can also be calculated by taking the negative gradient of the electric potential. Additionally, there are various mathematical tools, such as Gauss's law and the superposition principle, that can be used to calculate the electric field and potential in more complex situations.