Frame velocity v. object velocity in derivation of 4-velocity

In summary, the proper velocity η of an object is related to its ordinary velocity u by the Lorentz transformations for ordinary and proper time. This relationship is derived from the Lorentz factor, γ, which takes into account the speed u. The frame velocity is not needed in this calculation.
EricTheWizard
I've been learning about 4-velocity and all the "proper" 4-vectors recently, and if I understand correctly, proper velocity η (the 3-vector) is related to ordinary velocity by the relation [tex]\vec\eta = \frac{\vec u}{\sqrt{1-\frac{u^2}{c^2}}}[/tex], where u is ordinary velocity of an object within a certain frame, but that it is derived from the lorentz transformations for ordinary and proper time, which give the relation [tex]\frac{d\vec x}{d\tau} = \frac{d\vec x}{dt}\frac{dt}{d\tau}=\frac{\vec u}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}[/tex] where v is the velocity of the reference frame. What I don't understand is how v made this leap to u, or more clearly, how the frame velocity became ordinary velocity.

Physics news on Phys.org
Not entirely sure what you're asking but I'll take a stab at it by thinking out loud..

Suppose we see some object moving at constant speed u along the x direction (just to make things simpler). To find out how fast its moving I take a derivative with respect to proper time, [tex]dx^{\beta}/d\tau[/tex] and it will have components [tex](u^0, u^1,0,0)=(\gamma, \gamma u,0,0)[/tex] where u is how fast I measure (using my clocks and rods) the object moving.

So what's in [tex]\gamma[/tex]? The speed u, so [tex]\gamma=(1-u^2)^{-1/2}[/tex] because that is what I observe. Also, you can check by working out the boost to the object's rest frame:

[tex]
\bar{u}^{\alpha}=\Lambda^{\alpha}_{\beta}u^{\beta}
[/tex]

which results in [tex]\bar{u}^{\alpha}=(1,0,0,0)[/tex] as it should.

So where are you getting your v? Is there another frame you're not including in your question?

Ahh I understand now, I had this picture in my head of some extraneous frame I guess I didn't need... Thanks for clarifying.

FAQ: Frame velocity v. object velocity in derivation of 4-velocity

1. What is frame velocity in the derivation of 4-velocity?

Frame velocity refers to the velocity of the reference frame in which an object is observed. It is often denoted as v and represents the speed at which the frame is moving relative to another frame.

2. What is object velocity in the derivation of 4-velocity?

Object velocity, denoted as u, refers to the velocity of an object in the reference frame in which it is being observed. This is the velocity that is measured by an observer in a specific reference frame.

3. How do frame velocity and object velocity relate to each other in the derivation of 4-velocity?

In the derivation of 4-velocity, frame velocity and object velocity are used to calculate the four-dimensional velocity vector, which represents the object's velocity in space-time. The relationship between the two is essential in understanding the object's motion in different reference frames.

4. Why is the concept of 4-velocity important in relativity?

The concept of 4-velocity is crucial in relativity because it allows us to describe an object's motion in the four-dimensional space-time continuum. This is necessary to accurately describe objects moving at high speeds, where the classical laws of physics do not apply.

5. How is 4-velocity different from traditional velocity?

Unlike traditional velocity, which only considers an object's speed in three dimensions, 4-velocity takes into account the object's motion in the time dimension as well. This allows for a more comprehensive understanding of an object's motion in space-time, especially at high speeds.