Resolving the Incompatibility of Special Relativity and Quantum Mechanics

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulties in combining the theory of general relativity (GR) and quantum mechanics (QM), and the possibility of combining special relativity (SR) and QM through relativistic quantum field theories. The conversation also touches upon two specific issues in combining SR and QM: the agreement on a universal speed and length constant among observers, and the definition of wavefunction collapse in a Lorentz invariant manner. Possible explanations and solutions are mentioned, including the use of field theory and the work of physicist Dr. Y. S. Kim. The conversation concludes with the belief that a successful theory of quantum gravity will need to address the issue of wavefunction collapse.
JustinLevy
Okay, I realize that there are difficulties in combining the theory of GR and quantum mechanics, but I thought SR and quantum could be combined alright (relativistic quantum field theories, etc). If that is not correct, please let me know as it makes the rest of my questions pointless.

My questions here are based on the fact that I am having trouble understanding two issues of "combining" SR and quantum. Any help you can provide would be much appreciated.

1] Since I'm interested in SR, we will consider a spanse of spacetime that is negligibly curved. Observers moving relative to each other should measure the same speed of light and any other physical constants. This means they will agree on c (a speed) AND a unit of length (the Planck length).

How can observers agree on a "universal" speed constant AND a "universal" length constant?

One explanation I've seen in literature is to slightly change the "constancy of the speed of light postulate" of SR to "there exists one velocity upon which all observers agree" and refer to this velocity as the velocity of light in vacuum in the limit the energy -> 0. And then allow for light to have a dispersion relation in vaccuum, and a universal length to be agreed on. Is there another explanation that is simpler? And I'm not really sure how this answers the question in the first place.

2] Another issue is that quantum mechanics has that pesky "measurement postulate". All of quantum mechanics involves unitary and local evolution until you throw a measurement in there. How in the world can you define a "wavefunction collapse" in a lorentz invarient manner? It seems to have a built in "simultaneity" to it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
JustinLevy said:
Okay, I realize that there are difficulties in combining the theory of GR and quantum mechanics, but I thought SR and quantum could be combined alright (relativistic quantum field theories, etc). If that is not correct, please let me know as it makes the rest of my questions pointless.

My questions here are based on the fact that I am having trouble understanding two issues of "combining" SR and quantum. Any help you can provide would be much appreciated.

1] Since I'm interested in SR, we will consider a spanse of spacetime that is negligibly curved. Observers moving relative to each other should measure the same speed of light and any other physical constants. This means they will agree on c (a speed) AND a unit of length (the Planck length).

How can observers agree on a "universal" speed constant AND a "universal" length constant?

One explanation I've seen in literature is to slightly change the "constancy of the speed of light postulate" of SR to "there exists one velocity upon which all observers agree" and refer to this velocity as the velocity of light in vacuum in the limit the energy -> 0. And then allow for light to have a dispersion relation in vaccuum, and a universal length to be agreed on. Is there another explanation that is simpler? And I'm not really sure how this answers the question in the first place.

The fact that observers agree that there is a fundamental length scale (which, really we should only introduce when trying to involve GR, since it involves Newton's constant) doesn't mean that the observers will agree on what objects actually have that length.

2] Another issue is that quantum mechanics has that pesky "measurement postulate". All of quantum mechanics involves unitary and local evolution until you throw a measurement in there. How in the world can you define a "wavefunction collapse" in a lorentz invarient manner? It seems to have a built in "simultaneity" to it.

Most physicists just avoid that particular issue. IMO, that's a big reason we use field theory instead of trying to formulate relativistic quantum mechanics in terms of wave functions.

That said, wave functions are still an open question. I know that Dr. Y. S. Kim at Maryland has spent significant effort on questions regarding relativistic wave functions; so, if you're up for it, you might try looking at his papers.

JustinLevy said:

It seems to me that a successful theory of quantum gravity will have to address this issue in a satisfactory way. (IMHO, such a theory will provide us with the correct interpretation of quantum mechanics [in some appropriate limit].)

1. What is SR and Quantum?

SR stands for Special Relativity and is a theory that explains the relationship between space and time. Quantum refers to the branch of physics that deals with the behavior of particles on a microscopic scale.

2. Why can mixing SR and Quantum be difficult?

Mixing SR and Quantum can be difficult because they are based on different principles and have different mathematical frameworks. SR deals with large-scale objects and gravity, while Quantum deals with small-scale particles and their interactions.

3. What are some challenges when combining SR and Quantum?

Some challenges when combining SR and Quantum include the incompatibility of their mathematical frameworks, the different scales they operate on, and the lack of a unified theory that can explain both.

4. Are there any proposed solutions to the problem of mixing SR and Quantum?

Yes, some proposed solutions include string theory, loop quantum gravity, and quantum field theory. These theories attempt to reconcile the differences between SR and Quantum and provide a unified framework for understanding the universe.

5. What are the potential implications of successfully merging SR and Quantum?

Successfully merging SR and Quantum would revolutionize our understanding of the universe and could potentially lead to new technologies and advancements in various fields, such as space travel and computing. It could also help us answer some of the biggest questions in physics, such as the nature of time and the origin of the universe.