More vector help (subtraction)

• Thread starter klm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, vector F can be calculated by subtracting three times vector B from vector A. Its components can then be found by subtracting three times the components of B from the components of A. The direction of vector F can be determined by looking at the signs of its components, with both components being positive indicating that it is in quadrant 1.
klm
vector A = 7i + 4J
vector B= -4i - 8j
vector F = vector A - 3B

are you allowed to do this:
Fx= Ax - 3Bx : 7-3(-4) =19
Fy= Ay -3By : 4- 3(-8) = 28
or is there some rule to get the 3b?

and then how do you get the direction? when i do tan^-1 (28/19) = 55.8 . but how can i tell what quadrant vector F is in? i know vector A is in quad 1. and B is in quad 3. but since i am subtracting vector B, it is really going in quad 1? so is vector F really in quad 1?
sorry for all the questions!

Physics news on Phys.org
Get some graph paper, and draw it! Draw A, B, -3B and F. Can you see what the numbers are actually representing as geometry?

It should be obvious which quadrant things are in... if x and y are both positive, they're in the first quadrant... I'll let you fill in the conditions for the other three.

i did draw it already.
i know A is in quad 1.
B is in quad 3, but since i am subtracting ( i have to take the opposite vector) it would be in quad 1 as well.
so vector F should be in quad 1 correct?

Yes. You can also see it from the graph. Or, by noting that the defining of a vector in quadrant 1 is that both x and y components are positive. Can you generalise that definition for the other quadrants?

klm said:
vector A = 7i + 4J
vector B= -4i - 8j
vector F = vector A - 3B

are you allowed to do this:
Fx= Ax - 3Bx : 7-3(-4) =19
Fy= Ay -3By : 4- 3(-8) = 28
or is there some rule to get the 3b?

Your components look to be correct. You can calculate each component algebraically as you have done.

and then how do you get the direction? when i do tan^-1 (28/19) = 55.8 . but how can i tell what quadrant vector F is in? i know vector A is in quad 1. and B is in quad 3. but since i am subtracting vector B, it is really going in quad 1? so is vector F really in quad 1?

Both components of F are positive, so what quadrant does that put it in?

(I just spotted your later response. Your graph seems to confirm the algebra.)

^thank you both! i just needed to make sure that you are allowed to find components like that. by multiplying the 3 with the B component. thanks!

1. How do I subtract two vectors?

To subtract two vectors, you need to first make sure they are in the same coordinate system. Then, you can simply subtract the corresponding components of the vectors to get the resulting vector.

2. Can I subtract a vector from a scalar?

No, a scalar is a single value and cannot be subtracted from a vector which has multiple components. However, you can multiply the scalar by a vector to scale its magnitude.

3. How can I visualize vector subtraction?

Vector subtraction can be visualized by drawing the two vectors in the same coordinate system and then creating a parallelogram with the two vectors as adjacent sides. The resulting vector is the diagonal of the parallelogram.

4. What is the difference between vector subtraction and scalar subtraction?

Vector subtraction involves subtracting components of two vectors to get a resulting vector, while scalar subtraction involves subtracting a single value from another single value.

5. Can I use vector subtraction to find the distance between two points?

Yes, you can use vector subtraction to find the distance between two points by subtracting the position vectors of the two points and then finding the magnitude of the resulting vector.