Analog Multiplexing with ADC: A Viable Solution?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility and feasibility of using separate ADCs, network hardware, and DACs and output amps instead of an analog MUX. It is determined that using an analog MUX is more efficient and commonly used, with a sample and hold circuit and considerations for impedance and sigma-delta ADCs.
dyordyen
Is it possible? Feasible?

Engineering news on Phys.org
So a bunch of separate ADCs, some network hardware and a bunch of DACs and output amps?
Any reason to do this rather than just an analogue MUX?

dyordyen said:
Is it possible? Feasible?

The function of an Analog-to-Digital converter (ADC) is nothing like an analog MUX function. What are you trying to do?

Using only ADCs? No, it's not possible.

- Warren

Oh wait, I'm sorry... I meant, multiplexing multiple analog signals then feeding it to an ADC...

dyordyen said:
Oh wait, I'm sorry... I meant, multiplexing multiple analog signals then feeding it to an ADC...

Yes, that's done all the time. You use the MUX as the sample part of your sample and hold circuit, with the hold cap between the MUX and the ADC input. The sample time depends on the impedance of the MUX switches.

dyordyen said:

berkeman said:
Yes, that's done all the time. You use the MUX as the sample part of your sample and hold circuit, with the hold cap between the MUX and the ADC input. The sample time depends on the impedance of the MUX switches.

but don't do that with a sigma-delta ADC, unless the MUX switching rate is far, far slower than the clock for the sigma-delta ADC.

Thanks guys :)

1. What is an analog multiplexer?

An analog multiplexer is a device that allows multiple analog signals to be transmitted through a single channel. It acts as a switch, selecting one input at a time and sending it to the output.

2. How does an analog multiplexer work?

An analog multiplexer uses a combination of switches and logic gates to control the selection of inputs. The input signals are connected to the switches and the output is connected to the logic gates. The logic gates determine which switch is open and therefore which input is selected.

3. What is an ADC?

An ADC (Analog-to-Digital Converter) is a device that converts analog signals into digital signals. It measures the amplitude of an analog signal and assigns a digital value to represent it.

4. How does an analog multiplexer using ADC work?

An analog multiplexer using ADC combines the functionality of both devices. The analog multiplexer selects the input signal and sends it to the ADC. The ADC then converts the analog signal into a digital signal which can be read and processed by a microcontroller or other digital system.

5. What are the advantages of using an analog multiplexer with an ADC?

Using an analog multiplexer with an ADC allows for the selection and conversion of multiple analog signals with only one device. This saves space and reduces the number of components needed in a circuit. It also allows for easier control and monitoring of multiple analog signals in a system.