Atomic gas and Semiconductor Lasers.

In summary, gas lasers are heavier, bulkier and less efficient than semiconductor lasers, but they can produce a wider range of wavelengths. Semiconductor lasers are more efficient, but they're limited in the wavelengths that they can directly emit.
hhhmortal
Hi, I want to know what the important quantitative differences between the light produced by an atomic gas laser and that produced by a semiconductor laser are?

I know that produced my atomic gas lasers are low power but high collimation, but semiconductor lasers seem to have higher power? because of stimulated emission?

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
As far as i know its quite the opposite:
You can have gas lasers, for example CO2-lasers with 20 kW output power, and by contrast semiconductor lasers (single emitter) in the mW to W range. Laserdiode stacks of course allow you to increase your overall power since its combined from individual single emitters.

For the difference in the light, the emission wavelength is different and as far as i know the quality of the laserbeam is higher with gas lasers.

semiconductor lasers can be much more efficient because of direct band gap materials. From memory the efficiency of semoconductor lasers is at least 100x better than gas lasers...but the downside of it is it can not handle too high power..or the PN junction will breakdown..

Laser diodes are very small, very compact and very efficient.

However, they're relatively limited in the wavelengths that they can directly emit (excluding things like diode-pumped YAG to indirectly create other wavelengths) - IR, red, and more recently violet and blue are the only wavelengths possible straight off the diode.

Gas lasers are quite heavy, bulky, fragile and inefficient - requiring large, bulky power supply electronics and cooling.

For example, the Ar/Kr ion laser I have here consumes ~2000 W of electrical power to generate ~200 mW of light, so it's really just a 1999.8 W electric room heater.

However, it generates a range of different red, yellow, green and blue emissions lines right across the spectrum - the beam that comes out is actually white light. Laser diodes can't do that :)

1. What is the difference between atomic gas lasers and semiconductor lasers?

Atomic gas lasers use a gas (such as helium or neon) as the active medium, whereas semiconductor lasers use a semiconductor material (such as gallium arsenide) as the active medium. This fundamental difference leads to variations in their operating principles, applications, and performance.

2. How do atomic gas and semiconductor lasers produce light?

Atomic gas lasers produce light through the excitation of gas atoms by an external energy source, such as an electrical current or another laser. Semiconductor lasers produce light through the recombination of electrons and holes in the semiconductor material, resulting in the emission of photons.

3. What are the main applications of atomic gas and semiconductor lasers?

Atomic gas lasers are commonly used in scientific research, medical treatments, and industrial processes such as cutting and welding. Semiconductor lasers are widely used in consumer electronics (e.g. DVD players, laser printers), telecommunications, and medical equipment.

4. How efficient are atomic gas and semiconductor lasers?

Atomic gas lasers have an efficiency range of 0.1-10%, depending on the specific gas, while semiconductor lasers have an efficiency range of 20-50%. This means that semiconductor lasers require less energy to produce the same amount of light as atomic gas lasers.

5. How do atomic gas and semiconductor lasers differ in terms of cost?

Atomic gas lasers tend to be more expensive to produce and maintain due to their complex design and the need for specialized gases. Semiconductor lasers, on the other hand, are relatively inexpensive to manufacture and are more durable, making them a more cost-effective option for many applications.