Troubleshooting Laser Diode Circuit with Arduino and PN2222a Transistor

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit involving a laser diode, Arduino, and other components. The circuit is not working properly and the individual is seeking help and clarifications about the schematic, power source, and potential issues with the circuit design. They also mention following a guide for laser diodes and ask for suggestions on how to make the laser output dimmable. The conversation ends with the individual asking about the impact of not having a resistor between the base and the Arduino.
Stonestreecty
TL;DR Summary
I have a circuit where the base transistor (PN2222a) leg is plugged into the pin 9 of the Arduino, but my laser diode doesn’t light up. After some adjustments, the circuit doesn’t work...
Hi, all
I have a circuit where the base transistor (PN2222a) leg is plugged into the pin 9 of the Arduino. When I power everything up and send the signal from the Arduino to the transistor base leg, the laser diode doesn’t light up, but my design strictly follows Complete Tech Guide to Laser Diodes. In addition, the Arduino is powered through a cable that is plugged into the computer and I am using a LED rocker switch if that helps. 🤔
schematic.jpg

Is there anyone has ideas? Thank you in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What is the diode model/make/specification? Turn-on voltage, current?

Do I understand correctly that you use external 9V for power, not the standard 5V supplied through the Arduino?

I am not sure I understand the schematic - what is connected in parallel with the diode and to A0? Looks like photoresistor, but they have two legs?

Stonestreecty said:
Summary:: I have a circuit where the base transistor (PN2222a) leg is plugged into the pin 9 of the Arduino, but my laser diode doesn’t light up. After some adjustments, the circuit doesn’t work...

but my design strictly follows Complete Tech Guide to Laser Diodes
Please post a link to that; your schematic makes no sense to me.

EDIT/ADD -- Please also post a link to the laser diode datasheet. Is it a visible laser? And are you wearing the appropriate laser safety glasses while trying to get this to work?

1) your battery is backwards.
2) it doesn't matter because it's in series with a capacitor, which will quickly charge up to the battery potential. The net voltage from the two will be zero.
3) I don't believe this schematic is from "Complete Tech Guide to Laser Diodes" (whatever that is). It doesn't really make sense. Are you sure you've drawn it correctly?

Likes berkeman
Try something like this:
20210813_113211~2.jpg

Likes jim mcnamara and berkeman
This circuit will turn the laser on and off at the PWM frequency. You probably won't get a dim laser output at any instant in time. What you'll get is a laser pulse that is either on or off with a variable fraction of the time it's on. This can "look" dim to many processes that effectively average the light they "see" over a time period longer than the PWM period (like a human eye, for example). Assuming your detector is also fast compared to the PWM signal (most are), your uP won't measure a dim light, it will either measure all or nothing.

If you want a continuous, but dimmable, light source, you will need to add some sort of low pass filter between the PWM signal and the diode. Ask if you want to see how you might do that.

DaveE said:
Try something like this:
View attachment 287495
If the diode circuit is powered with 9V and the uP with 5V, what voltages will A0 see coming off of that sensor? It may need clamping to 5V, depending on what-all is going on.

Thank you for you all replies.
It is a 5V laser diode and the power the battery is 9V wouldn’t that fry my diode if I didn’t include the resistor?
I included the capacitor to prevent spikes from damaging the laser diode. It is 220uF.
how does not having the resistor between the base and the arduino affect the whole circuit?

@Stonestreecty
It would be good if you could give us a link to the "Complete Tech Guide to Laser Diodes".
Then we would know what circuit was recommended.

Likes berkeman
Stonestreecty said:
Thank you for you all replies.
It is a 5V laser diode and the power the battery is 9V wouldn’t that fry my diode if I didn’t include the resistor?
I included the capacitor to prevent spikes from damaging the laser diode. It is 220uF.
how does not having the resistor between the base and the arduino affect the whole circuit?
Sorry, I just can't make sense out of your schematic, so I'll pass on your questions. You'll be better off asking questions about my schematic, I think. Laser diodes aren't 5V unless there is extra stuff built in, like a series resistor. So, if you want good answers, you'll need to tell us what parts you are using. Real part numbers and datasheets.

In general, most semiconductors need something like a series resistor to limit the current that flows, as do diodes. Although there are so many variations that I'm not sure this advice helps at all.

Adding a capacitor to filter "spikes" isn't a bad idea, but you have to put it in the correct place. That is usually a pretty complex subject.

Please draw a schematic of what you intend to build, I doubt that it's the drawing you previously included.

Likes berkeman

1. What is a laser diode circuit?

A laser diode circuit is a circuit that uses a laser diode as its main component to produce a coherent and monochromatic beam of light. It typically consists of a power source, a laser diode, and other components such as resistors and transistors to control the flow of current to the diode.

2. How does an Arduino control a laser diode circuit?

An Arduino can control a laser diode circuit by using its digital output pins to send signals to a transistor, such as the PN2222a, which acts as a switch to turn the laser diode on and off. The Arduino can also be programmed to adjust the current and voltage levels going to the diode, allowing for more precise control over the laser's output.

3. Why is troubleshooting a laser diode circuit important?

Troubleshooting a laser diode circuit is important because it ensures that the circuit is functioning properly and that the laser diode is operating within safe parameters. It can also help identify any potential issues or malfunctions that could affect the performance or longevity of the diode.

4. What are some common issues when troubleshooting a laser diode circuit?

Some common issues when troubleshooting a laser diode circuit include incorrect wiring or connections, faulty components, insufficient power supply, and incorrect programming of the Arduino. It is important to carefully check all components and connections, and to refer to the circuit diagram and datasheets to ensure everything is set up correctly.

5. How can I protect my laser diode circuit from damage?

To protect your laser diode circuit from damage, it is important to use the appropriate components and power supply for the diode. It is also recommended to use a current-limiting resistor in series with the diode to prevent excess current from flowing through it. Additionally, avoid exposing the diode to static electricity and handle it with care to avoid physical damage.