How Does Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation Induce EMF in Brain Tissue?

• Thread starter imapeiceofwod
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Figure
In summary: Sure, let's try it out with the given values:V = - \frac {\Delta B \times \pi r^2} {\Delta t}= - \frac {(1.50 T - 0) \times \pi (1.70 mm)^2} {125 ms}= - \frac {1.5 \times 10^{-3} T \times 3.63 \times 10^{-6} m^2} {0.125 s}= - 109 \times 10^{-6} V= - 109 \mu VSo in summary, the induced emf around a horizontal circle of tissue of radius 1.70 mm is 109 µV.
imapeiceofwod
Transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) is a noninvasive technique used to stimulate regions of the human brain. In TMS, a small coil is placed on the scalp and a brief burst of current in the coil produces a rapidly changing magnetic field inside the brain. The induced emf can stimulate neuronal activity.
(a) One such device generates an upward magnetic field within the brain that rises from zero to 1.50 T in 125 ms. Determine the induced emf around a horizontal circle of tissue of radius 1.70 mm.
magnitude 109 µV

(b) The field next changes to 0.500 T downward in 95.0 ms. How does the emf induced in this process co

A long solenoid with 6.50 102 turns per meter and radius 2.00 cm carries an oscillating current I = 3.00 sin 90πt, where I is in amperes and t is in seconds.
(a) What is the electric field induced at a radius r = 1.00 cm from the axis of the solenoid? (Use the following as necessary: t. Let E be measured in millivolts/meter and t be measured in seconds.)
E=?

any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well what have you tried so far to solve these?

Remember Maxwell's equations; they are the tools you'll need to solve most E&M problems at this level. Specifically, Faraday's Law will help with part (a).

can anyone help be out?

hmm apparently my hint wasn't help...

Faraday's law: [tex] E \cdot dl = -\frac{d\Phi}{dt} [/tex]
You know dl, and can calculate the change in flux, so you can solve for E...

im sorry I am still not getting it. can you show me with an example? like use different values or something then i could do it on my own. maybe its just me but that is how i learn.

imapeiceofwod said:
im sorry I am still not getting it. can you show me with an example? like use different values or something then i could do it on my own. maybe its just me but that is how i learn.

Faraday says:
[tex]emf = - \frac {d\Phi} {dt}[/tex]

In other words:
[tex]V = - \frac {\Delta B \times A} {\Delta t} = - \frac {\Delta B \times \pi r^2} {\Delta t}[/tex]

Can you apply this formula?

1. What should I do if I can't figure out a problem?

If you are having trouble solving a problem, the first thing you should do is take a step back and approach it from a different angle. Sometimes a fresh perspective can help you see the problem in a new light. You can also try breaking the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts and tackling each one separately. Additionally, don't be afraid to ask for help from a colleague or mentor.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

Problem-solving skills can be improved through practice and persistence. As a scientist, it is important to constantly challenge yourself and engage in problem-solving activities. You can also try learning new techniques and strategies for problem-solving, such as brainstorming, trial and error, and research. Additionally, seeking feedback and learning from your mistakes can also help improve your problem-solving skills.

3. What role does critical thinking play in problem-solving?

Critical thinking is a crucial aspect of problem-solving. It involves analyzing and evaluating information to come up with a logical and well-supported solution. It helps you identify underlying assumptions, consider different perspectives, and make informed decisions. Developing your critical thinking skills can greatly enhance your problem-solving abilities.

4. Are there any resources that can help me when I am stuck on a problem?

Yes, there are many resources available to help you when you are stuck on a problem. You can consult textbooks, research papers, online forums, and other experts in your field. Additionally, there are many problem-solving techniques and strategies that you can learn and apply to different types of problems. Don't be afraid to seek help and use available resources to overcome challenging problems.

5. How can I prevent getting stuck on a problem in the future?

To prevent getting stuck on a problem in the future, it is important to continuously develop and strengthen your problem-solving skills. This includes regularly practicing problem-solving activities, seeking feedback, and learning new techniques and strategies. Additionally, staying organized and breaking down complex problems into smaller parts can help prevent getting overwhelmed and stuck. Lastly, don't be afraid to ask for help and collaborate with others when needed.