Force to hold a sluice gate in place

• Thread starter George32
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force Gate
In summary: F Simplifying the terms inside the parentheses, we get: \rho g (V^2 + \frac{1}{2}h^2 - \frac{1}{2}lh - \frac{1}{2}h^2) = F Cancelling out the \frac{1}{2}h^2 terms, we get: \rho g (V^2 - \frac{1}{2}lh) = F Finally, we can substitute the value of V from the conservation of mass equation, which gives us: \rho g (\frac{V^2h}{
George32

Homework Statement

An incompressible, inviscid liquid of density ρ flows, under the influence of gravity, beneath the sluice gate shown. The height and velocity upstream of the gate are h and V, respectively, while downstream of the gate the height is l. Show that the force per unit width necessary to hold the gate in place is given by
[tex] \frac {\rho g(h-l)^3} {2(h+l)} [/tex]
Hint : Requires consideration of hydrostatic pressure, a momentum balance over a control
volume incorporating three forces acting on three vertical surfaces, and use of the Bernoulli equation.

Homework Equations

Using a conservation of mass, [tex] Vh=Ul [/tex] where U is the velocity downstream.
Using Bernoulli, [tex] V^2(1 - \frac {h^2} {l^2}) = g(l-h) [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Taking [tex] \dot {m} = \rho v h [/tex] and [itex] \dot {m} v = \rho h v^2 [/itex]
Using the Steady Flow Momentum Equation:

[tex] \Sigma \dot{m_i} V_in - \Sigma \dot{m_o} V_out = F - \Sigma pA [/tex]
So filling into this I get: [tex] \rho h v^2(1-\frac {h}{l}) = F - \frac {1}{2} \rho g (h^2 -l^2) [/tex]
Filling in [itex] V^2 = \frac{g(l-h)}{1-\frac{h^2}{l^2}}[/itex] and rearranging:
[tex] F = \rho g( (h-\frac{h^2}{l})(\frac{l^2 (l-h)}{l^2 - h^2}) + \frac{1}{2}(h-l)(h+l) )[/tex]
Working through the rearrangement:
[tex] F = \rho g( (h-\frac{h^2}{l})(\frac{l^2}{l+h}) + \frac{1}{2}(h-l)(h+l)) [/tex]
[tex] F = \rho g( \frac{hl^2 - lh^2}{l+h} + \frac{1}{2}(h-l)(h+l) )[/tex]
[tex] F = \rho g( \frac{2(hl^2 - lh^2) + h^3 +h^2 l - l^2 h - l^3}{l+h} )[/tex]
[tex] F= \frac{\rho g}{l+h} ( h^3 - h^2 l + h l^2 - l^3) [/tex]
Which comes down to:
[tex] F= \frac{\rho g}{l+h} (h-l)(h^2 + l^2) [/tex]

which is obviously not the right answer. In order to get the [itex] (h-l)^3 [/itex] that they have in their answer, I would need: [itex] 2(h(l^2) - l(h^2)) + (h^2 + l^2)(h-l) [/itex] On the top line in the top row (after adding fractions)

I remember having a similar issue in a tutorial, which was also a show that question, which came out to the same issue (the tutor couldn't make it work).

I just want to know if anyone else can make it work, and if so, if they could nudge me, otherwise I think it's possible that the question is wrong...

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
for any help in advance.

, Scientist

Thank you for sharing your attempt at solving this problem. I can understand your frustration with not being able to get the same answer as the one provided in the forum post. After reviewing your work, I believe that there may be a small mistake in your algebraic manipulation. Let me walk you through the solution that I came up with, and hopefully it will help you see where the discrepancy lies.

First, let's start with the conservation of mass equation, which you correctly identified as Vh=Ul . From here, we can solve for U and substitute it into the momentum equation:

U = \frac{Vh}{l}

Plugging this into the momentum equation, we get:

\rho h V^2 (1-\frac{h}{l}) = F - \frac{1}{2} \rho g (h^2 - l^2)

Now, let's focus on the left side of the equation. We can factor out \rho V^2 and rearrange the terms to get:

\rho V^2 (1-\frac{h^2}{l^2}) + \frac{1}{2} \rho g (h^2 - l^2) = F

Now, let's use the Bernoulli equation, which states that V^2 + gh + \frac{p}{\rho} = constant . Since the liquid is incompressible and inviscid, we can ignore the pressure term, leaving us with:

V^2 + gh = constant

Substituting this into our equation, we get:

\rho (V^2 + gh) (1-\frac{h^2}{l^2}) + \frac{1}{2} \rho g (h^2 - l^2) = F

Expanding and rearranging, we get:

\rho V^2 (1-\frac{h^2}{l^2}) + \rho gh (1-\frac{h^2}{l^2}) + \frac{1}{2} \rho g (h^2 - l^2) = F

Now, let's factor out \rho g and rearrange the terms to get:

\rho g (V^2 + h - \frac{h^3}{l^2} - \frac

What is a sluice gate?

A sluice gate is a type of gate or valve used to control or regulate the flow of water in a channel, such as a canal or river.

What is the purpose of a sluice gate?

The purpose of a sluice gate is to control water flow, either by allowing or preventing water from passing through a canal or river. It can also be used for flood control and to regulate water levels in a body of water.

What is the force required to hold a sluice gate in place?

The force required to hold a sluice gate in place depends on several factors such as the size and weight of the gate, the water pressure pushing against the gate, and the design and materials of the gate. Generally, a strong and sturdy force, such as hydraulic or mechanical power, is needed to hold a sluice gate in place.

How can the force needed to hold a sluice gate be calculated?

The force needed to hold a sluice gate in place can be calculated using the formula F = P x A, where F is the force, P is the water pressure, and A is the area of the gate. It is important to also consider other factors such as friction and weight of the gate when calculating the force needed.

What are some common materials used to make sluice gates?

Sluice gates can be made from a variety of materials, including steel, concrete, wood, and plastic. The choice of material depends on the size and purpose of the gate, as well as the environmental conditions it will be exposed to. For example, steel gates may be used for larger structures or in areas with high water pressure, while plastic gates may be more suitable for smaller structures or in areas with less water pressure.