Force exerted on the horizontal bottom of the container

In summary, the conversation discusses the determination of the pressing force exerted on the horizontal bottom of an empty container filled with mercury, given its dimensions and density. While one approach involves using Newton's second law, the other uses the hydrostatic force equation. The discrepancy between the two results is due to the fact that the fluid also exerts forces on the container, which need to be taken into account.
Hidd

Homework Statement

In an empty container, having the shape of a Rectangular Parallelepiped, with width l=0.5m and MN=H=0.4m, and NP=L=0.75M. we poureda mass of mercury =2448kg.
T0,T1,T2 have the same section which is 0.2 m^2.
we give g=10N/kg, and density of mercury u=13.6 g/(cm^3).

fluid_prob.jpg

determine the pressing force exerted on the horizontal bottom of the container?

Homework Equations

Δ[/B]p/Δz = -ρ*g

dF=p*dS
3. The attempt at a solution
Since that we already have the mass, i tried to solve it by using Newton's second law.
F=m*g
=2448*10=24480N
I thought it was an easy problem and than i took a look at the solution here is what i found:

the volume of mercury is 2448/(13.6*1000)=0.18 (m^3)
the volume in the Parallelepiped is H*L*l=0.15 (m^3)
than the volume in the 3 tubes is: V=(0.18-0.15)/3=0.01 (m^3)
so h= V/s=0.5m

the pressure is p=u*g*(H+h)

so F=p*s=p*l*L
=u*g*(H+h)*l*L
=45900N

I understand the solution but i don't understand why i coudn't apply Newton's second law? why did i have a contradiction?

Thanks in advance and All the best,

Attachments

• fluid_prob.jpg
    fluid_prob.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 411
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, I have trouble following your post. What is the total mass? What is the total weight force? What is the area of the base? Pressure is Force/Area. Can you please fill in these numbers and compare to the solution you are given? Thanks, and sorry if that is all in your post.

The total mass of Mercury 2448kg, the total weight force is 24480N, the area of the base is 0,375 m²,
the pressure (of the weight) is (24480/0,375)=65280Pa

what i did't understand is why the wight force is not equal to the force exerted at the bottom of the container.
if we applied Newton's laws on the fluid (in rest), we should get the same magnitude for the weight force and for the force exerted by the the bottom of the container, right?

Hidd said:
The total mass of Mercury 2448kg, the total weight force is 24480N, the area of the base is 0,375 m²,
the pressure (of the weight) is (24480/0,375)=65280Pa

what i did't understand is why the wight force is not equal to the force exerted at the bottom of the container.
if we applied Newton's laws on the fluid (in rest), we should get the same magnitude for the weight force and for the force exerted by the the bottom of the container, right?
Well, no. What are the forces that the fluid exerts on the container in the vertical direction? (Hint: don't only look at the bottom)

Likes Hidd and berkeman
Chestermiller said:
Well, no. What are the forces that the fluid exerts on the container in the vertical direction? (Hint: don't only look at the bottom)

Well, beside the weight force, I couldn't find other forces!

Hidd said:
Well, beside the weight force, I couldn't find other forces!
Is the fluid exerting an upward force on the lid, given that the pressure on the bottom of the lid is ##\rho gh##?

Likes Hidd
Chestermiller said:
Is the fluid exerting an upward force on the lid, given that the pressure on the bottom of the lid is ##\rho gh##?

I think that the container is exerting a normal force on the fluid, and the pressure at the bottom must be : ρg(h+H).
I guess the other force must be the "air pressure"?!

What i don't understand is that: if I apply Newton's law on the "Fluid" in order to find the normal force which is equal to the "pressing force exerted by the fluid on the horizontal bottom of the container", I don't get the same result as by using the "hydrostatic force equation"

Hidd said:
What i don't understand is that: if I apply Newton's law on the "Fluid" in order to find the normal force which is equal to the "pressing force exerted by the fluid on the horizontal bottom of the container", I don't get the same result as by using the "hydrostatic force equation"
First let's consider the forces that the fluid exerts on the container. This is minus the force that the container exerts on the fluid. The downward force that the fluid exerts on the base of the container is ##\rho g (H+h)A##, where A is the area of the base. The upward force that the fluid exerts on the lid of the container (MQ in the figure) is ##\rho g h(A-A_P)##, where ##A_P## is the total area of the three vertical pipes extending above the lid. So the net downward force that the fluid exerts on the container is $$F=\rho g (H+h)A-\rho g h(A-A_P)=\rho g H A+\rho g h A_p$$ But this is just the weight of the fluid (as expected). And this is equal to the net upward force that the container exerts on the fluid.

Now, let's next consider the forces acting on the base of the container. If we do a free body diagram on the base, we find that there are 3 vertical forces acting: (1) The upward normal force of the ground ##F_g## (2) The downward pressure force of the fluid ##F_f## and (3) the upward tension exerted by the vertical sides of the container on the base T. From the previous analysis, we showed that $$F_g=Weight=\rho g H A+\rho g h A_p$$ and $$F_f=\rho g (H+h)A$$So, from a force balance on the base, we find that the tension in the vertical walls of the container is given by: $$T=\rho g (H+h)A-(\rho g H A+\rho g h A_p)=\rho g h(A-A_P)$$
So the tension in the walls is not zero in a case where the fluid in the three tubes extends above the lid.

Likes Hidd

What is force exerted on the horizontal bottom of the container?

The force exerted on the horizontal bottom of the container is the total amount of physical pressure applied to the bottom surface of a container. This force is typically measured in units of Newtons (N) and is calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by its acceleration due to gravity.

Why is the force exerted on the horizontal bottom of the container important?

The force exerted on the horizontal bottom of the container is important because it helps to determine the stability and structural integrity of the container. It also affects how much weight the container can hold and its ability to withstand external forces without collapsing or deforming.

What factors can affect the force exerted on the horizontal bottom of the container?

The force exerted on the horizontal bottom of the container can be affected by several factors, including the mass of the object inside the container, the acceleration due to gravity, and any external forces acting on the container, such as wind or vibrations. The shape and material of the container can also have an impact on the force exerted.

How can the force exerted on the horizontal bottom of the container be calculated?

The force exerted on the horizontal bottom of the container can be calculated by using the formula F = m x g, where F is the force in Newtons, m is the mass of the object in kilograms, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s² on Earth).

What are some real-world applications of understanding the force exerted on the horizontal bottom of the container?

Understanding the force exerted on the horizontal bottom of the container is important in industries such as shipping and transportation, where containers are used to transport goods. It is also relevant in architecture and engineering, as it helps in designing structures that can withstand different forces and loads. Additionally, knowledge of this force can aid in the safe storage and handling of hazardous materials in containers.