How to show integral equal to hypergeometric function?

In summary, the hypergeometric function is a multivalued function that has a branch point at z=1. It can be approached through the hypergeometric differential equation, though this is not sufficient.
jackmell
Hi,

I would like to show directly,

[tex]\int \frac{e^{at}}{e^{it}+e^{-it}}dt=\frac{e^{(i+a) t} \text{Hypergeometric2F1}\left[1,\frac{1}{2}-\frac{i a}{2},\frac{3}{2}-\frac{i a}{2},-e^{2 i t}\right]}{i+a}[/tex]

I realize I can differentiate the antiderivative to show the relation but was wondering how to integrate the integral directly to obtain the hypergeometric function or are these type integrals evaluated using a different technique? I can express it as:

[tex]\int \frac{e^{(i-a)t}}{1+e^{2it}}dt[/tex]

and at least it has the [itex]e^{2it}[/itex] in there.

How are any integrals expressed in terms of hypergeometric functions?

Physics news on Phys.org
How are you defining the "Hypergeometric" functions?

(And that last integral should be
[tex]\int\frac{e^{i-a)t}}{1+ e^{-2it}}dt[/tex])

HallsofIvy said:
(And that last integral should be
[tex]\int\frac{e^{(i-a)t}}{1+ e^{-2it}}dt[/tex])
Even that's not right. It should either be
$$\int \frac{e^{(a+i)t}}{1+e^{2it}}dt$$
or
$$\int \frac{e^{(a-i)t}}{1+e^{-2it}}dt$$

jackmell said:
Hi,

I would like to show directly,

[tex]\int \frac{e^{at}}{e^{it}+e^{-it}}dt=\frac{e^{(i+a) t} \text{Hypergeometric2F1}\left[1,\frac{1}{2}-\frac{i a}{2},\frac{3}{2}-\frac{i a}{2},-e^{2 i t}\right]}{i+a}[/tex]

I realize I can differentiate the antiderivative to show the relation but was wondering how to integrate the integral directly to obtain the hypergeometric function or are these type integrals evaluated using a different technique? I can express it as:

[tex]\int \frac{e^{(i-a)t}}{1+e^{2it}}dt[/tex]

and at least it has the [itex]e^{2it}[/itex] in there.

How are any integrals expressed in terms of hypergeometric functions?
I'd start by trying a substitution, but I honestly don't know how one goes about integrating that directly.

Have you considered approaching it by the hypergeometric differential equation?

HallsofIvy said:
How are you defining the "Hypergeometric" functions?

Hi,

I'm defining the hypergeometric function as the analytic continuation of the hypergeometric power series:

[tex]\mathstrut_2 F_1\left(a,b,c,z\right)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(a)_n (b)_n}{(c)_n} \frac{z^n}{n!}\quad |z|<1[/tex]

which I believe is a multi-valued function with a branch-point at z=1 but I'm not very familiar with this function.

Have you considered approaching it by the hypergeometric differential equation?

I've considered that but don't know how to approach this integral through that DE but I'll keep working on it.

Also, thanks for correcting the integral DH. It is:

[tex]\int \frac{e^{(i+a) t}}{1+e^{2it}}dt[/tex]

Last edited:
jackmell said:
Hi,

I'm defining the hypergeometric function as the analytic continuation of the hypergeometric power series:

[tex]\mathstrut_2 F_1\left(a,b,c,z\right)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(a)_n (b)_n}{(c)_n} \frac{z^n}{n!}\quad |z|<1[/tex]

which I believe is a multi-valued function with a branch-point at z=1 but I'm not very familiar with this function.
Why would it be multivalued? It isn't readily apparent to me.

As to the problem, this is new to me, too. I'll probably piggy-back off of this thread for my own learning. :tongue:

Mandelbroth said:
Why would it be multivalued? It isn't readily apparent to me.

As to the problem, this is new to me, too. I'll probably piggy-back off of this thread for my own learning. :tongue:

That's an interesting question in itself. Well, Mathematica says it is although I realize that's not sufficient. However, we can experimentally verify it's multivalued by considering the hypergeometric DE:

[tex]z(1-z)w''+(c-(a+b+1)z)w'-abw=0[/tex]

and numerically integrating this equation over a contour which encircles the branch point at z=1, for example over a circle of radius 2, that is, by letting [itex]z=2e^{it}[/itex]. Now when I do that and substitute that into the DE and I did it quickly so not confident I did it error-free, I obtain the DE in terms of t:

[tex]z(1-z)(-1/4 e^{-2it} w''-iw')+(c-(a+b+1)z)(-i/2 e^{-it}) w'-ab w=0,\quad z=2e^{it}[/tex]

now, I just arbitrarily let a=1, b=2, c=3, w(0)=2, w'(0)=1 and integrate over 2pi and plot the real (or imaginary) results, the solution does not return to the same point. That is experimentally, a clear sign it's not single-valued although there is always the chance of numerical error.

Also, getting back to the problem, I'm encouraged by my initial attempts at iterative integration by parts, the solution looks like it's getting there but not quite. I'll work on that approach.

Attachments

• multivalued hypergeometric function.jpg
    multivalued hypergeometric function.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 527
Last edited:

What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve in a graph. It is denoted by the symbol ∫ and is often used to find the total area of a shape or the value of a function at a specific point.

What is a hypergeometric function?

A hypergeometric function is a special type of mathematical function that is defined by a power series. It is used to solve many problems in mathematics, physics, and engineering, and is denoted by the symbol F.

How do you show that an integral is equal to a hypergeometric function?

To show that an integral is equal to a hypergeometric function, you can use the properties of integrals and the definition of hypergeometric functions. You can also use techniques such as integration by parts or substitution to simplify the integral and transform it into a hypergeometric function.

What are the applications of hypergeometric functions?

Hypergeometric functions have many applications in mathematics and other fields. They are used to solve problems in probability, statistics, differential equations, and quantum mechanics. They are also used in the design of computer algorithms and in the study of special functions.

Are there any special cases of hypergeometric functions?

Yes, there are several special cases of hypergeometric functions, such as the Gaussian hypergeometric function, the confluent hypergeometric function, and the Appell hypergeometric function. These special cases have different properties and applications, and are often used in specific areas of mathematics and science.