Work and Spring Stiffness Constant

In summary, the question asks for the distance the trampoline is depressed when a 65 kg trampoline artist jumps onto it with a speed of 5.0 m/s. By applying the equation for potential energy and using Hooke's Law, the correct answer can be determined. The initial velocity, final velocity, and mass are given, along with the spring stiffness constant. However, it is important to note that the question asks to ignore small changes in gravitational potential energy, indicating that energy conservation may not be applicable in this scenario.
sugarntwiligh

Homework Statement

A 65 kg trampoline artist jumps vertically upward from the top of a platform with a speed of 5.0 m/s. (Ignore small changes in gravitational potential energy.)

a) How fast is he going as he lands on the trampoline, 3.0 m below?
ANS: 9.2m/s
NOTE: I understand how to get this, I just need help on part B.

(b) If the trampoline behaves like a spring with spring stiffness constant 6.2e4 N/m, how far does he depress it?
ANS:

Homework Equations

x = Fs/-k
k = 6.2e4 N/m

F = ma
m = 65 kg

a = {(v_2)^2 - (v_1)^s}/{2d}

The Attempt at a Solution

x = {((v_2)^2 - (v_1)^s)*65}/{2*d*6.2e4}

My value of d = x = the depression of the trampoline, so,

x = {((v_2)^2 - (v_1)^s)*65}/{2*(x)*6.2e4}.

v_1 = 9.2 m/s
v_2 = 0 m/s

2x = .0443
x = 0.22 , which is wrong :-(.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Does a spring always produce the same force no matter what its displacement is?

(And why do you think the question asks you to ignore changes in potential energy? that may be a clue...)

heth said:
Does a spring always produce the same force no matter what its displacement is?(And why do you think the question asks you to ignore changes in potential energy? that may be a clue...)

Yes it does produce the same force no matter what displacement is. Where did I use potential energy? I still don't understand how my equation is wrong...

sugarntwiligh said:
Yes it does produce the same force no matter what displacement is.

Imagine you have a great big spring, and you're trying to extend it. Or a piece of rubber and you're trying to stretch it. Imagine it pulling back at you as you pull it, and that it's strong enough not to deform.

You're saying that the spring / rubber will always pull you with the same force, no matter how far you've extended it. Does that sound right?

(Have you heard of Hooke's Law? If not, then look it up in your textbook - it will help.)

Where did I use potential energy? I still don't understand how my equation is wrong...

The fact that the question mentions "small changes in potential energy" should make you wonder if you can use energy conservation to do the question. If you can use energy conservation, this is often easier than using forces.

1. What is work?

Work is a physical quantity that measures the amount of energy transferred when a force is applied over a distance. It is typically represented by the symbol "W" and is measured in units of joules (J).

2. How is work related to spring stiffness constant?

The work done on a spring is directly proportional to the spring stiffness constant, also known as the spring constant or force constant. This means that as the spring stiffness constant increases, the amount of work required to stretch or compress the spring also increases.

3. How is the spring stiffness constant calculated?

The spring stiffness constant is calculated by dividing the applied force by the resulting displacement of the spring. It can also be calculated by dividing the elastic potential energy stored in the spring by the amount of stretch or compression, or by taking the slope of the force-displacement graph for the spring.

4. What factors affect the spring stiffness constant?

The spring stiffness constant is affected by the material and geometry of the spring, as well as the amount of force applied to the spring. For example, a stiffer material or a larger cross-sectional area of the spring will result in a higher spring stiffness constant.

5. How does the spring stiffness constant affect the behavior of a spring?

The spring stiffness constant determines the amount of force required to stretch or compress a spring, as well as the distance the spring will stretch or compress for a given force. It also affects the frequency and period of oscillation for a spring-mass system. A higher spring stiffness constant will result in a stiffer spring with less stretch or compression for a given force, and a faster oscillation frequency.