Question about liminf of the sum of two sequences

In summary, for any two real sequences x_n and y_n, the inequality \liminf_{n\to \infty} x_n + \liminf_{n\to \infty} y_n \leq \liminf_{n\to \infty} (x_n + y_n) holds true. However, if one of the sequences converges, the inequality becomes equality. If \liminf_{n\to \infty} x_n + \liminf_{n\to \infty} y_n = \liminf_{n\to \infty}(x_n + y_n), it does not necessarily mean that both sequences converge. A counterexample is when x_n = y_n =
AxiomOfChoice
I know that for any two real sequences x_n and y_n, we have

[tex]
\liminf_{n\to \infty} x_n + \liminf_{n\to \infty} y_n \leq \liminf_{n\to \infty} (x_n + y_n).
[/tex]

I also know that, if one of the sequences converges, the inequality becomes equality. My question is this: If I've managed to show that

[tex]
\liminf_{n\to \infty} x_n + \liminf_{n\to \infty} y_n = \liminf_{n\to \infty}(x_n + y_n),
[/tex]

can I conclude that one, or both, of the sequences converge? A simple yes/no would suffice, but (of course) I'd prefer a short proof or counterexample. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What if

[tex]
x_n = y_n = (-1)^n
[/tex]

statdad said:
What if

[tex]
x_n = y_n = (-1)^n
[/tex]

Lame! I was hoping both of the sequences had to converge! And what a simple counterexample to prove me wrong! Thanks, though :smile:

1. What is the definition of the liminf of the sum of two sequences?

The liminf of the sum of two sequences is the smallest number that is greater than or equal to the limit of the sequence of partial sums of the two given sequences. In other words, it is the infimum (greatest lower bound) of the set of all possible limit points of the sequence of partial sums.

2. How is the liminf of the sum of two sequences calculated?

The liminf of the sum of two sequences is calculated by first finding the limit of the sequence of partial sums of the two given sequences. Then, the infimum of this limit set is taken to determine the liminf.

3. What is the relationship between the liminf of the sum of two sequences and the individual liminfs of the sequences?

The liminf of the sum of two sequences is always less than or equal to the sum of the individual liminfs of the sequences. In some cases, this relationship may also hold as an equality.

4. Can the liminf of the sum of two sequences be equal to zero?

Yes, the liminf of the sum of two sequences can be equal to zero if the individual liminfs of the sequences are also equal to zero. This means that the limit of the sequence of partial sums is also zero.

5. What are some applications of the liminf of the sum of two sequences in real-world problems?

The liminf of the sum of two sequences is commonly used in areas such as probability, statistics, and signal processing. It can also be applied in the analysis of time series data, where it can help identify trends and patterns in the data.