Why the B-W Theorem is used when proving continuity implies uniform continuity?

In summary: What you're saying is that the theorem is needed to find a converging subsequence, but it's not actually used in the proof?In summary, the Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem is used to find a converging subsequence, but it is not actually used in the proof.
schniefen
Homework Statement
Using the Bolzano-Weierstrass Theorem (BWT) to prove continuity implies uniform continuity.
Relevant Equations
Definitions of continuity, uniform continuity and BWT á la Wikipedia.
In my textbook when proving continuity implies uniform continuity (which is very similar to the proof given here), BWT is used to find a converging subsequence. I cannot see why this is needed. Referring to the linked proof, if we open up the inequality ##|x_n-y_n|<\frac{1}{n}##, isn't by the squeeze theorem then ##(x_n-y_n)=0\iff x_n=y_n##, and so one can conclude these sequences converge to the same limit and jump the BWT step in the proof.

Physics news on Phys.org
Squeezing is how Bolzano Weierstraß is proven, so you can of course substitute one by the other.

fresh_42 said:
Squeezing is how Bolzano Weierstraß is proven, so you can of course substitute one by the other.
So it would be correct to jump the BWT step and instead apply the squeeze theorem directly to ##(x_n-y_n)##? Why would one choose to use the BWT in the first place?

It is shorter to say. You also need topological completeness or closure for your argument, and prove why it can be applied. So you will mimic the proof of Bolzano-Weierstraß, just mention the theorem is shorter.

Is the official statement that continuity in a compact set implies uniform continuity?

Yes :thumbup:

Likes WWGD
schniefen said:
Problem Statement: Using the Bolzano-Weierstrass Theorem (BWT) to prove continuity implies uniform continuity.
Relevant Equations: Definitions of continuity, uniform continuity and BWT á la Wikipedia.

In my textbook when proving continuity implies uniform continuity (which is very similar to the proof given here), BWT is used to find a converging subsequence. I cannot see why this is needed. Referring to the linked proof, if we open up the inequality ##|x_n-y_n|<\frac{1}{n}##, isn't by the squeeze theorem then ##(x_n-y_n)=0\iff x_n=y_n##, and so one can conclude these sequences converge to the same limit and jump the BWT step in the proof.
The issue, I don't see if you addressed this, is that a fixed value of n will work for all points, instead of having n vary for different points. EDIT: I don't see how the squeeze theorem warrants this . I think you should be more precise. Do you mean ##|x_n -y_n| < 1/n \forall n ##?

WWGD said:
The issue, I don't see if you addressed this, is that a fixed value of n will work for all points, instead of having n vary for different points.
How does that connect to the use of the Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem?

schniefen said:
schniefen said:
I was referring more to the uniform continuity part.

Likes schniefen
It seems you can choose a value ##\epsilon ## construct at each point a convergent subsequence , choose a cover from which you extract a finite subcover... to find a value of n so that 1/n will work for all.

I’m not sure I understand. I’ve been told that the application of the Bolzano Weierstrass theorem is necessary “to have a sequence to take the limit of”. It confuses me, because the proof already assumes we have two sequences ##x_n## and ##y_n## that one could perfectly take the limit of, no?

Take a sequence about each point. By BW there is a convergent subsequence. This can done to have a sequence convergent to any point. Since sequence converges, fix an ##\epsilon ##, so you can by convergence, find an ##N_{\epsilon} ## so that ##|x_n -y_n | < \epsilon ## ##\forall n>N ## . Now the collection of different values ##N_{\epsilon} ## will have a minimum, which will give you the uniform continuity.

1. Why is the B-W Theorem used in proving continuity implies uniform continuity?

The B-W Theorem, also known as the Bolzano-Weierstrass Theorem, is used in proving continuity implies uniform continuity because it provides a way to show that a function is uniformly continuous by using the concept of compactness. This theorem states that every bounded sequence has a convergent subsequence, which is a necessary condition for a function to be uniformly continuous.

2. What is the difference between continuity and uniform continuity?

Continuity and uniform continuity are both properties of functions, but they differ in the way they describe the behavior of a function. Continuity means that a function is continuous at every point in its domain, while uniform continuity means that a function is continuous at every point in its domain with the same degree of continuity. In other words, uniform continuity requires that the function's rate of change does not vary significantly over its entire domain.

3. Can a function be uniformly continuous but not continuous?

No, a function cannot be uniformly continuous but not continuous. If a function is uniformly continuous, it must also be continuous. This is because uniform continuity is a stronger condition than continuity and implies that the function is continuous at every point in its domain.

4. How does the B-W Theorem relate to the concept of compactness?

The B-W Theorem is closely related to the concept of compactness because it provides a way to show that a function is uniformly continuous by using the idea of compactness. A function is uniformly continuous if and only if it maps every compact set to a compact set. The B-W Theorem states that every bounded sequence has a convergent subsequence, which is a necessary condition for a function to map a compact set to a compact set.

5. Are there any other theorems that can be used to prove continuity implies uniform continuity?

Yes, there are other theorems that can be used to prove continuity implies uniform continuity, such as the Heine-Cantor Theorem and the Cauchy Criterion for Uniform Continuity. These theorems also use the concept of compactness to show that a function is uniformly continuous.