Circuit with capacitors and inductors

In summary: The current flows through the left side of the 10A current source, and it is labeled with the letter "a".
eurekameh
2r2cbh5.png

The question states that the circuit has been connected for a very long time. I'm assuming that then, the current will remain constant and thus the voltage for the inductor is vL = Ldi/dt = 0. Thus, using nodal analysis, I was able to solve (a) by eliminating all of the inductors from the circuit. For (b), however, there is a capacitor for which I do not know how to handle, although I would guess that a mesh analysis would be involved from the looks of the current sources.

Physics news on Phys.org
When capacitors reach steady state in a DC circuit they reach a constant voltage and pass no current. You can remove capacitors and short out inductors...

I have removed the capacitors and shorted out the inductors. All that remains are the resistors. Would it be valid to sum the current sources and put the 12 A source to the left of everything and use current division?

eurekameh said:
I have removed the capacitors and shorted out the inductors. All that remains are the resistors. Would it be valid to sum the current sources and put the 12 A source to the left of everything and use current division?

No, you can't sum the current sources as they are not in parallel. But you don't need to: the 10A supply is the only supply to the 2k and 5k resistors which are in parallel (now that the inductor is shorted). Apply current division.

Why doesn't the 2 A source have no added effect? I would assume from intuition that it would contribute to the current i,x going through the 5 k,ohm resistor.

Last edited:
eurekameh said:
Why doesn't the 2 A source have no added effect? I would assume from intuition that it would contribute to the current i,x going through the 5 k,ohm resistor.

The 2A source can't have any effect on those components because the 10A current source will pass 10 amps, and ONLY 10 amps no matter what. An ideal source cannot do anything but exactly what it's specified to do. If an ideal source is putting 10A into a node, you better believe that all 10A are going somewhere! :smile:

If you were to draw a current arrow on the bottom rail that is below the 10A source, what current value would you label it with? Where does that current come from ?

10 A going to the left?

eurekameh said:
10 A going to the left?

Yes. Where does that current come from (through which components must it flow)?

What is a capacitor and how does it work?

A capacitor is an electrical component that stores energy in an electric field. It consists of two conductive plates separated by a non-conductive material, known as a dielectric. When a voltage is applied across the plates, an electric field is created, causing one plate to accumulate positive charge and the other to accumulate negative charge. This stored charge can then be released when needed.

What is an inductor and how does it work?

An inductor is an electrical component that stores energy in a magnetic field. It consists of a coil of wire, which creates a magnetic field when an electric current passes through it. The magnetic field resists any changes in the current, causing the inductor to store energy. This stored energy can then be released when needed.

How are capacitors and inductors used in circuits?

Capacitors and inductors are used in circuits for a variety of purposes, including energy storage, filtering, and timing. They can also be used in combination with resistors to create filters that selectively allow certain frequencies of electrical signals to pass through.

What is the difference between capacitors and inductors?

The main difference between capacitors and inductors is the type of energy they store. Capacitors store energy in an electric field, while inductors store energy in a magnetic field. They also have different properties and behaviors in circuits, such as how they respond to changes in voltage and current.

What are some common applications of circuits with capacitors and inductors?

Circuits with capacitors and inductors are commonly used in electronic devices such as televisions, radios, and computers. They are also used in power supplies, motor control systems, and in telecommunications equipment. Additionally, they can be found in various electronic components, such as filters, oscillators, and resonant circuits.