An expression for this figure

In summary, The conversation is about coming up with a name for a figure in a picture that resembles a conic shape but with a flattened tip. Suggestions include ellipseconic, ovalconic, lineconic, elliptical wedge, wedgeonic, wedgeone, and cowbell. The conversation also takes a humorous turn with mentions of living in Texas.
sunone
http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/7113/conewithflattip.png

Help needed, I need an expression of the figure in the picture, it is like a conic but the tip is not a point but a short 1D segment (it s not a truncated conic), I accept anything ;-) skewed Conics, Sperical Harmonics approx, cubic surface... any suggestion?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
ellipseconic and for the object an ellipsecone (I thought first ellipsone but that's already a word for winds that move in elliptical paths)

alternatively you could use ovalconic and ovalcone

or lineconic and linecone

** (I didn't know if you were try to name something new or wanted the correct mathematical name. My suggestions are inventions only)

Last edited:
How about elliptical wedge? Or do you need to model it? You take the formula for two ellipses and interpolate between them. Set the width of the upper one to zero. Something like this:

[tex]X(t)=(a_1 (1-z/c) + a_2(z/c) )\cos(t) [/tex]
[tex]Y(t)=(b(1-z/c)\sin(t) [/tex]

Last edited:
How about a cowbell?

Vargo said:
How about a cowbell?

Y'all must be from Texas.

Yes, I do live in Texas

Well, howdy neighbor!

Vargo said:
Well, howdy neighbor!

Howdy!

1. What is an expression for this figure?

An expression for a figure is a mathematical equation or formula that represents the relationship between the different components or variables in the figure. It is used to describe the figure in a concise and precise manner.

2. Why is it important to have an expression for a figure?

Having an expression for a figure allows us to better understand and analyze the relationships between different components in the figure. It also allows for easier manipulation and calculation of the figure's properties.

3. How do you find an expression for a figure?

To find an expression for a figure, you need to carefully observe the figure and identify the different components and their relationships. Then, you can use mathematical principles and equations to represent these relationships in a concise and accurate manner.

4. Can an expression for a figure be simplified or generalized?

Yes, an expression for a figure can be simplified or generalized depending on the specific properties or characteristics of the figure. This can help to make the expression more applicable to a wider range of similar figures.

5. Are there any limitations to using an expression for a figure?

There may be limitations to using an expression for a figure if the figure is highly complex or if there are too many variables involved. In these cases, the expression may not accurately represent the figure or may be too difficult to manipulate and analyze.