Machine parts, conic clutch two teachers, two different results

In summary, the conversation involves a person seeking help to determine which of two teachers went wrong in solving a problem involving a conic clutch rotating at 700 RPM. One person provided a solution from their friend's teacher while the other provided their own solution. The solutions differ in the use of formulas and the resulting power calculation. The conversation ends with the realization that one of the teacher's solution is incorrect and further discussion with the teacher is needed.
Femme_physics
Gold Member
Machine parts, conic clutch...two teachers, two different results! :(

So a friend of mine who studies for the same test scanned me his teacher's solution to a problem they solved in class. We solved the same problem with a different teacher. I could really use your help to figure out who out of the two teachers went wrong (or maybe they both did?). This is important.

Homework Statement

The Question:
A conic clutch, shown in the drawing, rotates at 700 [RPM].
Calculate the power that can be conveyed (calculate by uniform surface stress).

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/577/hwhwscheme.jpg/

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Homework Equations

Since there is a conflict between the used formulas, I won't list them here. I will write the variables...

Rf = Friction's Radius
P = Power
n = rotational speed [RPM]
Fa = Required axial force for the conveyance of the moment
Dm = Needed average radius
α= Conical Angle
[P] = Max allowable surface contact stress
[τ]= Max allowable torsion

THE SOLUTIONS

My friend's teacher:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/267/hwhw1.jpg/

My teacher:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/339/hwhw2.jpg/

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
*BUMP* Anyone?

What happened to your second scan?

Anyway, according to this PDF (google rules!):
http://www.freestudy.co.uk/dynamics/clutches.pdf
the formula for a conic cludge with constant pressure is:
$$M_{eff} = \frac {\pi p \mu}{12 \sin \alpha} ({D_o}^3 - {D_i}^3)$$
with ##D_i = D_o - 2b\sin \alpha##.

So:
$$M_{eff} = \frac {\pi \cdot 0.3 \cdot 0.3}{12 \sin 15^\circ} (300^3 - (300 - 2 \cdot 60 \cdot \sin 15^\circ)^3) = 687100.7 \text{ Nmm}$$
This appears to come close to your friend's teacher.

According to the same article:
$$P=\frac {2\pi n}{60} M_{eff}$$
So:
$$P=\frac {2\pi \cdot 700}{60} \cdot 687100.7 = 50367.1 \text{ W}$$
The difference with your friend's teacher is mostly the division by an extra factor 2, of which I do not know where it is coming from.
There seems to be some assumption that only half of the torque can actually be transmitted.

Now what did your teacher write again?
Your picture link appears to be broken.

Last edited by a moderator:
Printing this to show it to my teacher...see what he has to say!

Well... it remains curious that your teacher is effectively dividing by sin(15) two times.
That doesn't seem right.

1. What are machine parts?

Machine parts refer to the individual components that make up a machine, such as gears, bearings, shafts, and clutches. These parts work together to perform a specific function and are essential for the proper functioning of a machine.

2. What is a conic clutch?

A conic clutch is a type of mechanical clutch that uses friction to connect and disconnect two rotating shafts. It consists of two conical surfaces that are pressed together, allowing for smooth engagement and disengagement of the shafts.

3. How do two teachers affect the results of a conic clutch?

The results of a conic clutch can be affected by two teachers in several ways. Firstly, the teachers may have different teaching styles and techniques, which can impact the learning and understanding of the students. Secondly, they may have different expectations and grading criteria, leading to varying results for students.

4. What are the two different results that can occur with a conic clutch?

The two different results that can occur with a conic clutch are slipping and sticking. Slipping occurs when the clutch does not engage fully, causing the shafts to slip and the machine to malfunction. On the other hand, sticking occurs when the clutch does not disengage properly, leading to the shafts staying connected even when they should be disconnected.

5. How can the results of a conic clutch be improved?

The results of a conic clutch can be improved by ensuring that the machine parts, including the clutch, are properly maintained and lubricated. Additionally, the teachers involved can work together to ensure consistency in teaching and grading methods, which can lead to more consistent results for students. Regular maintenance and communication can help prevent slipping and sticking and improve the overall performance of the conic clutch.